bring Factory Talk View to front if alarm?

Kleinstick

So, we are in the semi serious "What can we all do here?" stage of a project. I don't really have access to a testing PC at this point.

The powers that is have decreed they would like a maintenance computer in the shop. This will have all of our PMs, parts lookup, ect ect ect and the important part (to me)...
a VersaView runtime license complete with status / alarms from every AB processor in the plant.

So, considering this PC will not be used strictly as an HMI (more of a monitoring and some basic controls), is there a way to force the runtime to 'take over' the screen if an alarm is triggered? Or possibly something like Outlook does when an email comes in? Where it puts that little notification on the bottom of the screen.

Thanks

I don't know of any native way to do that. At the very least, I'd say you would need to write either an ActiveX control, that can interact with the notifications window, or even a simple program that can interact with the window AND function as a DDE/OPC client. Then just pump alarm notifications to the control or separate program.

I don't know what all processors that you have but you could trigger a email from the processor with each alarm and if you have outlook on that computer it would give you that notification.

If all your processors are ab and logix series it will be simple if you have slc,micro and plc 2,3,5 series it will be more difficult. Since they are networked you could use a contrologix as a data concentrator to monitor all processors alarms conditions and then send the emails.

I may be incorrect but i don't think you can email with the slc series or micrologix with the exception of the newer 1100 or 1400.

I don't know if FT View can issue a email based on alarm or not? Maybe someone will chime in on that. If it can that would be the most simple route.

You stated versaview runtime license so is it FT View ME or SE distributed or SE Station. Versaview denotes hardware which is a panel PC.

Thanks for the suggestions. We do have a (single) logix, the rest are SLC 5/04, 5/05 and micros.

Your right, I was having a brain **** :p Machine Edition.

Making the minimized window flash sounds like an easy task.
No doubt googling this as a generic active-X problem would result in some answers.

There's probably even a command to do your original request.