Compactlogix Hardware

Hi,

What is the largest controller available in the Compactlogix series? Is it the 1769-L38ERM with 5MB work memory?

Also it there the possibility to add an additional Ethernet/IP bridge module to the chassis?

The objective here is to expand the memory on a 1768-L43 rack with as little hardware changing as possible. I understand I need to change the power supply and the controller but all the 1769 I/O can be retained.

You are correct that the largest memory controller that can connect directly to 1769 I/O is the 1769-L38ERM.

It has an embedded 2-port switch so it supports Device-Level Ring or a star topology, but there is just one Ethernet interface so just one IP address. It does not support dual-port mode like the 5380 series controllers, or any additional Ethernet modules. So a NAT or other router device would be necessary to accommodate another network.

Depending on the speed requirements of your I/O, you could of course use a 1769-AENTR to run the I/O, and use the 1756-L7x or 1756-L8x controller of your choice with sufficient memory for your application and as many 1756-ENxT modules as you wish.

Last edited:
Thanks Ken for confirming. For some reason I thought there was an 8MB option.

Unfortunately I have no space for a 1756 rack in this panel but I did not consider the 1769-AENTR as an option. Maybe its possible to install that and relocate a 4 slot chassis of 1756 HW to a remote panel. I'll check with the customer.

Is there such a AENTR solution for the 1768 series?

1768 modules were just the Ethernet, ControlNet, and Motion modules that went on that unique left-side bus on a 1768-L43 or -L45 controller. There's no I/O platform or way to use them without a CPU.

I recently did a refit where I put a 1756-A4 and an L71 controller in a box in another room, and ran an Ethernet cable to the machine enclosure where I had various network adapters and new EtherNet/IP devices. The cabinets already had control components bolted to the side walls, inside of the doors, and stacked on the floor !