Disable Downloading In RSLogix 5000

Is there anyway to disable downloading in logix 5000 or studio 5000? We have a problem with the maintenance guys clicking download instead of upload when they go online with the machines to troubleshoot. We purchased the service edition for their laptop which is read only access but they can still download. I have been researching for a while now and I have seen some stuff about factory talk application manager but not anything very clear. Thanks for any help you guys can offer.
Dustin

I don't know of a way to block downloading.....but is it possible to keep there laptop updated with the most current source file....that way they can just push "Go Online" instead of getting confused with "Upload and Download".

Just a thought.

EDIT: then they could look at neat things like rung & instruction comments and such also.

BCS

Last edited:
yes I could probably keep their pc up to date on any new programming or changes we make. Me and the other engineer share a google drive between us for our files and I always keep a backup on a thumb drive. They just have a copy of it now on their desktop to use. We just got the service edition of the 5000 software. the reason I didn't share the file with them is because they would always save over something or change things that didn't need changed or delete files on accident. With the new software I may be able to share it safely now.

Dustin,
If you have RA Techconnect support

29757 - RSLogix 5000 Service Edition Disabling Functionality

It has the Service Edition 32bit and 64bit windows registry files you can download and do what you are wanting for your maintenance folks.

The simple technique many people overlook is just to turn the keyswitch to the RUN position. You cannot download to or edit a controller that's in RUN mode.

If version control and modification authority is a significant problem with your staff, then maybe the extra step of gaining physical access to the controller before making a change is worthwhile.

You could also setup Factory Talk security to prevent downloading.

Most people are not aware of it but FT security can be installed on a stand alone PC or laptop and does not have to be in a network configuration to be used and it has many other access controls also.

I have known a few people to buy 3rd party software to solve this problem and what you need is already there.

This might be too far out of the box thinking, but have you considered investing the time and money to send your maintenance people for training on how use the software correctly? I have seen it said here before, "Training is expensive, but ignorance is where the real money is at."

Will.

You should have these maintenance guys disqualified from working with software or they should be trained on how to use it (or both). If they cannot grasp the concept of the difference between upload and download, they have no business in the PLC. Then, considering that when they select download, if they read the message that gets displayed, it tells them that the PLC needs to get changed to program mode, this should be enough to tell them they are doing the wrong thing.

I know what this is like

I know this is an old post, but I'll post my thoughts anyway.
I agree with the OP.
This happens in our plant 6-10 times per year. (Not counting the rare times when the PLC actually loses the program). As the OP says, this is maintenance hitting the wrong button).
Rockwell is mostly to blame, because the dialog doesn't say "download to PLC". This is not universal wording, you know. Sometimes download means from the PLC.
This to me makes the "training" suggestion a joke, as well.
The help file does clear that up, but we can't seem to expect maint to slow down enough to read that, which also is my answer to "they should notice the Program Mode warning".
I am greatly amused by Ken Roach's suggestion to leave the key in Run - for the main reason, that screws me from being able to work on it remotely, and for another they will just put it back to Run Remote. Yeah, maybe that will slow them down enough...
Sorry, I had to vent. And I haven't yet explored the security options, we don't do anything like that yet.
I can probably publish a notice in the maintenance area that might drill it into their heads.

...but we can't seem to expect maint to slow down enough to read that...

I'm greatly amused you are blaming Rockwell when you clearly have a personnel problem, both in the maintenance staff as well as those who manage them.

The maintenance department has read only access of rslogix5000 in our department and I believe they can’t download or upload. They are on the different server. I ll check into it and get back to you.