You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old November 14th, 2017, 08:10 AM   #1
bbishop108
United States

Micro850 & CCW

Good day one and all! So I have an issue I am trying to work thru and when I found a solution for it, that's where my problem continues. It seems the solution is far more difficult a solution that what I was hoping for.

So I am trying to use 2 type J thermocouples with this PLC, they are grounded type TC's so I cannot use the 2085-IRT4 expansion module as it ONLY works with ungrounded TC's. Info that would have been nice to have before I ordered this module.

So after I chat with RA, they informed me that a need a 3rd party's plug-in module. Spectrum Controls 2080sc-IF4U universal analog module, perfect so I go ahead and get one. Sadly not plug and play, after yet another chat with RA low and behold there is a tech note for this specific module and even a sample program on Spectrum Controls web page for this module.

Here is where the problem for me is with this solution! Apparently there is data that needs to be entered using Structured Text, of which I have ZERO experience using. Then there are special instructions in CCW that also have to be utilized: PLUGIN_READ, PLUGIN_WRITE, and PLUGIN_INFO.

So this so-called solution seems way more complicated than the original problem. As such I feel I am going to require so serious step-by-step instructions in order to get this working. I know I can't get that from RA, so I am hoping some awesome wizard here has dealt with this before and has experience with this type of issue. Thanks
Old November 14th, 2017, 08:22 AM   #2
gclshortt
Canada

https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...l_Conditioners

What about just using a signal conditioner. Thermocouple in - Analog output to the PLC.

Just a thought.
Regards,
Old November 14th, 2017, 01:25 PM   #3
bbishop108
United States

So me not knowing anything about signal conditioners, so TC in and Analog out. But I need temperature displayed, how does this Analog out translate to temperature?

I suppose my real issue is the fact that I chose the wrong PLC platform, probably should have gone with a ML1100 and not this Micro850. I can't change that now, but I do need a viable solution for displaying current tank temp with the TC's that I have. I very much want to avoid having to try and use that 2080sc_IF4U plug-in module if at all possible.

So if there is a way to connect my TC's to the signal conditioner, and then connect the signal conditioners to the PLC and still be able to display the correct tank temp then I am all for that!

I know that AB has a line of signal conditioners, but I don't know how to connect them to a Micro850 or if they require additional programming with CCW.
Old November 14th, 2017, 03:47 PM   #4
damica1
United States

I agree with "gclshortt" look at this; https://cdn.automationdirect.com/sta...sensettdrm.pdf

Now you will end up with a 4-20ma output that the Micro850 can use, the raw input value will read between 0-65535 and you would convert to a real number then scale it the value you need to show.

I can show you how this is done if you wish.

PLEASE READ: https://www.prlog.org/12642091-marsh...-industry.html
Old November 14th, 2017, 04:00 PM   #5
damica1
United States

This should get you started.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TempSensorSample.jpg (92.3 KB, 47 views)

PLEASE READ: https://www.prlog.org/12642091-marsh...-industry.html
Old November 14th, 2017, 04:10 PM   #6
bbishop108
United States

Yes, that would be greatly appreciated as I know I will need all the help i can get. I have currently reached out to my local AB rep to recommend a signal conditioner that I can use with the Micro850. Thanks
Old November 14th, 2017, 05:41 PM   #7
Rob...
United Kingdom

http://www.prelectronics.com/?altTem...roduct&id=8591

I've used converters from the PR electronics range numerous times and they have proven to be accurate and reliable.

There are plenty of other on the market, but I know these well through trial in use.
Old Yesterday, 07:30 AM   #8
bbishop108
United States

Well, I have a question regarding these signal conditioners. Do I have to match the temperature range of the thermocouple to a signal conditioner with the same temperature range? For example: my tank temp will never be above 500 deg F, my TC has a much higher temp range, I found a signal conditioner that has a max temp of 500 deg F. Will this be an issue with scaling since my TC has a higher temp range than the signal conditioner?
Old Yesterday, 08:18 AM   #9
rdrast
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbishop108 View Post
Yes, that would be greatly appreciated as I know I will need all the help i can get. I have currently reached out to my local AB rep to recommend a signal conditioner that I can use with the Micro850. Thanks
Don't do this.
Just go ahead and get any of the hundreds available from just about every industrial electrical supplier.

IFM, PhoenixContact, Automation Direct all have signal conditioners, and are most likely about a thousand dollars cheaper than anything recommended by your AB distributor.

Oh, and match the signal conditioner input to the type of thermocouple you are using.

Look First, Ask Second!

Last edited by rdrast; Yesterday at 08:20 AM.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum