***Just for fun - Amazon Alexa***

I just don't have the need to tell everyone where I am going, what I am planning to do....

Same here... I dont want them to show up and have all my fun anyway, its my Tequila and my beach I dont want them there or I would of sent them a ticket :D

Possibilities are endless!

I'm looking forward to getting all my lights on the system. Most lights will be operated by smart light switches (as we have lots of ceiling lights in the house per room, would cost a fortune to replace them all with Hue lamps!)

Bedroom, Living room, Dining room lamps will all have hues eventually to help set the mood. I've some LED strip lamps and curtain LED lamps which I'll connect to a smart switch and I have control of everything just from voice, set the mood, etc!

Heating will be added eventually.

I'm really interested in trying to manufacture something that is capable of driving a simple roller blind. I could easily use a Siemens logo PLC or something like that as the controller. Then work out how to get alexa to tell it what to do (could wire in smart switches to the inputs I suppose...?)

Don't look at the Phillips Ambiance Hue lights (I really have no desire to change color, just brightness).
You can get really good pricing on the standard Phillips Hue lights from Amazon when on sale. They are regularly less than $10 each ($39 for 4), but remember they are LED so they last forever.
Alexa has remote controlled plug adapters for devices also.

As far as security...Have you ever looked at what you have given some phone apps access to?
Ie..facebook...
Camera, Microphone, Contact list, location...etc...
I trust Alexa more than Facebook.

I don't trust cloud based services so have been constructing a home automation system that sits entirely within my 4 wall.

I made a remote WiFi thermostat using ESP8266 NodeMCU that reads a sensor and transmits the temperature to and MQTT server (Mosquitto on Raspberry Pi). I'm currently using NodeRed as the automation layer and user interface (NodeRed Dashboard). The current temperature is compared to set temperature (from MQTT) and a control signal is passed back to MQTT.

Currently I have a TPLink socket subscribed to the Temperature control signal for testing. The next step is to modulate the temperature setpoint based on time of day and presence then I will use another ESP8266 wifi device to build a control relay for the heating boiler.

Nick

What does the Linux Home Automation enable you to do over and above the standard capabilities of Alexa and accessories?

I think the main advantage is that it offers more flexibility than just Alexa. I have a bunch of z-wave switches in my home. Home Assistant is compatible with the z-wave USB controllers, so that I can control all these switches fairly easily.

I can also control my TV's and media players. Camera system hooks up to it. Alarm system to. I have a bunch of Xiaomi wireless sensors and switches (cheap cheap) that integrate easily. Also have presence control using wifi.

I have a bunch of automations written. Simplest is to turn on and off exterior lights according to sun state. Lights in the back yard are automatically turned on when I open the back door at night (to let out the dogs), and turn off after x amount of time. Lights in the livingroom are turned off when I turn off the tv to go to bed. They turn on with motion when I get up at night.

And a whole bunch more, enought to drive my wife crazy sometimes, but she will agree it is nice to have.

I am currently not home, but can send you screenshots after the weekend :).

I made a remote WiFi thermostat using ESP8266 NodeMCU that reads a sensor and transmits the temperature to and MQTT server (Mosquitto on Raspberry Pi). I'm currently using NodeRed as the automation layer and user interface (NodeRed Dashboard). The current temperature is compared to set temperature (from MQTT) and a control signal is passed back to MQTT.

This sounds like a nice setup. NodeRed seems quite powerful without a massive learning curve.
Wouldn't the ESP8266 be "man enough" to do the control and have a setup interface?
Or maybe the ESP32? I've been toying with the idea of building something like that too, but stand alone and a web interface for configuration.

And a whole bunch more, enought to drive my wife crazy sometimes, but she will agree it is nice to have.

However, I'm really not happy to add more to my troubleshooting list particularly with that kind of "client".

This sounds like a nice setup. NodeRed seems quite powerful without a massive learning curve.
Wouldn't the ESP8266 be "man enough" to do the control and have a setup interface?
Or maybe the ESP32? I've been toying with the idea of building something like that too, but stand alone and a web interface for configuration.

However, I'm really not happy to add more to my troubleshooting list particularly with that kind of "client".

I use several NodeMCU devices as well, for sprinkler system and multisensor etc. I interface them with home assistant for visualization, but it is quite simple to make a web interface on them too.

Regarding the trouble shooting, I actually like to mess with it, so to expand and improve the system is kinda like a hobby. I just need to do it when I am home, last time I used VPN to remotely update the system turned into a real mess :).