Question about flashing Allen-Bradley 1769-L18ER-BB1B/B

eeBart

I know nothing about programming but I have a question about an Allen-Bradley 1769-L18ER-BB1B/B that I sold online. I was not aware that the unit's firmware had been changed to L19[not18]ER-BB1B/B. The buyer says it cannot be flashed back to the original firmware but I have received conflicting opinions about this. Can someone out here give me the right answer?

I'm not following the plot here, I don't understand your reference:

L19[not18]ER-BB1B/B

The original firmware that would come on this unit (all logix based units for that matter) is a v1.something, which is a non functional firmware that really just gives you the ability to flash to a proper functioning firmware. Dumb IMO, but it is what it is.

The minimum firmware that this controller supports is v20 and supports versions all the way up to the latest, which is v32. There is no reason why, with a normal functioning controller that it cannot be flashed forwards and backwards. What I'm curious about is what firmware it currently is and what version they are trying to flash to.

My gut instinct is that it is currently v21 or above and the revision attempting to be flashed is v20.

My next gut instinct here is that the end user doesn't understand Rockwell's needlessly complicated "compatibility" architecture and doesn't have the major revision of software installed plus the firmware kits installed for the firmware they want to flash. Simply having the latest doesn't work in Rockwell land.

PM me your contact info, I'm willing to discuss when I have a free moment.

Firmware does not change controller model numbers...

eeBart said:
I know nothing about programming but I have a question about an Allen-Bradley 1769-L18ER-BB1B/B that I sold online. I was not aware that the unit's firmware had been changed to L19[not18]ER-BB1B/B. The buyer says it cannot be flashed back to the original firmware but I have received conflicting opinions about this. Can someone out here give me the right answer?

Not possible...

If the 5370 L1 CompactLogix controller is physically a 1769-L18ER controller, then at no point in its existence will it or can it be referred to as now being a 1769-L19ER controller. Not physically (of course) and not firmware-wise. Software-wise? - The only exception to this I can think of is if someone selects a different model controller in a Logix 5000 project than the actual physical controller the project will be downloaded to. I've never tried to select a different but similar model 5370 L1 CompactLogix controller in a project and then attempt to download to that similar but different controller? I'm not sure if that would work? Either way, this would make no difference to the model number of the actual controller.

You cannot flash the firmware on a 5370 L1 CompactLogix controller to become another model as they are physically unique controllers. Whether Series A or Series B hardware, a 1769-L18ER will always be a 1769-L18ER and all that may change is the Firmware Revision Number (FRN) that is currently loaded...

Examples:

1769-L18ER-BB1B/B Series A FRN 20
1769-L18ER-BB1B/B Series A FRN 26
1769-L18ER-BB1B/B Series B FRN 28
1769-L18ER-BB1B/B Series B FRN 30

Here, the controller is always referred to as an -L18ER and just the FRN may change.

The main difference between the -L18ER and the -L19ER controllers is that the -L19ER has more user memory. But there is another firmware related difference which I will address in a minute...

First...

Note: Series A or B refers to the Hardware Series of the product and not software, as in firmware, etc.

The 1769-L16ER & 1769-L18ER Series A controllers may be flashed to any of firmware revision r20 - r31. However, for the -L18ER and -L16ER Series B controllers they may be flashed any of firmware revision r20 - r31, except r21 and r23 specifically. These two firmware revisions were skipped for the Series B controllers.

Second...

The 1769-L16ER and 1769-L18ER Series A controllers were released when the 5370 L1 CompactLogix controllers were originally introduced a few years ago. The Series B controllers were released some time after that. In January 2016, the new 1769-L19ER Series A was introduced to align with the Series B -L16ER and -L18ER controllers. To date there is still only a Series A 1769-L19ER available (no Series B). When the Series A 1769-L19ER was released, its firmware support began at revision r28 and up (up to r31 also available). This also aligned with the then current firmware available for the -L16ER and -L18ER controllers. You cannot flash a -L19ER controller to any firmware revision prior to r28. But that is all only relevant if you physically have a 1769-L19ER controller, which you say you do not.

So...

If the 1769-L18ER controller you sold is a Series A then it may be flashed to any of the following firmware revisions -

revision 20 - revision 31 (latest when writing)

If the 1769-L18ER controller you sold is a Series B then it may be flashed to any of the following firmware revisions -

revision 20 - revision 31
except revision 21 or revision 23

The Buyer must have the correct firmware revision files they require on their computer and available to select in ControlFlash when attempting to flash the controller forward or backwards in revision.

Might I suggest to you the Seller, as a good faith gesture to the Buyer, that you direct them here to this Forum and to this thread if you wish, so that they can provide us more precise details on what it is they are attempting to do or are having issues with? We may then be able to provide them direct support as opposed to going indirectly through you where some of the detail may be getting lost in "translation"?

For starters, I'm curious to know what they are referring to as the "original firmware"?

Regards,
George

I think my experience with what George mentioned about downloading to a controller that would be the "wrong" one I always got a warning that said basically the controllers didn't match and did I either A)want to change my project to match the existing controller, or b)change controller type. I seem to remember this several times when I'm testing stuff here on my desk. Hope this helped.