Looking to purchase a Profibus Diagnostic Meter... Any Suggestions?

lunenburger

We have multiple Profibus networks, some are on a Controllogix 1756-PFB-CLX card. And some are connected to a Siemens S7-300 PLC.
Just wondering if there is a preference on a good diagnostic scanner for these two networks.
Thanks

The number of problems that got blamed on the Profibus networks in a factory I work in went down by half once we got a Profitrace unit:

https://procentec.com/products/profitrace/?content-1

Some of that is because we now have a very powerful and precise tool to track down bad signals, bad connections, and bad devices, so we've fixed a few of them and know the characteristics of the intermittent ones.

And some of it is because now the network isn't mysterious; folks know we can exclude the network as the source of the problem and are more willing to pursue end-device, power supply, and system operational reasons why something doesn't turn on when they expect it to.

The number of problems that got blamed on the Profibus networks in a factory I work in went down by half once we got a Profitrace unit:

Some of that is because we now have a very powerful and precise tool to track down bad signals, bad connections, and bad devices, so we've fixed a few of them and know the characteristics of the intermittent ones.

And some of it is because now the network isn't mysterious; folks know we can exclude the network as the source of the problem and are more willing to pursue end-device, power supply, and system operational reasons why something doesn't turn on when they expect it to.

+1 here on the ProfiTrace, can vouch it is a very good tool.

I can also recommend the ProfibusScope software however it does not got into so much depth as the ProfiTrace. To use this software you will need a siemens interface card such as the CP5512 (this is what I use in my toughbook).

Regards

Daniel

I can only recommend Profitrace as I use myself. Quick to find fault cause and where the problem is.

I have used it with several customers, where they have abandoned themselves to find the error and where my Profitrace could quickly find it.

We have multiple Profibus networks, some are on a Controllogix 1756-PFB-CLX card. And some are connected to a Siemens S7-300 PLC.
Just wondering if there is a preference on a good diagnostic scanner for these two networks.
Thanks

We used a Fluke Scopemeter when we were having ModBus difficulties, the new model does Profibus too among a few others, very useful tool all round if you haven't got a scope either:

https://www.fluke.com/en-us/product/electrical-testing/portable-oscilloscopes/fluke-120b

We used a Fluke Scopemeter when we were having ModBus difficulties, the new model does Profibus too among a few others, very useful tool all round if you haven't got a scope either:

https://www.fluke.com/en-us/product/electrical-testing/portable-oscilloscopes/fluke-120b
Out of curiosity I looked through the specs and the manual. In the manual it just says:
"Profibus - DP PA - EIA-485 61158 type 1"
Nothing more, in the entire manual.
I am guessing it merely checks for if the waveforms are withing the limits.
Profitrace does much more than that.

edit: Yes, that is what it does:
The Test Tool can indicate the status of the following
aspects of the OSI model Physical Layer:
• Voltage levels (bias, high level, low level)
• Bit width – baud rate
• Rise and fall time
• Distortion

Last edited:

Do you have a similar experience with Ethernet networks? Any recommendations on tools/tool features that you use often for commissioning and troubleshooting Ethernet?

Out of curiosity I looked through the specs and the manual. In the manual it just says:
"Profibus - DP PA - EIA-485 61158 type 1"
Nothing more, in the entire manual.

That's funny, I did the same thing.... CTRL-F and 2 hits on the word Profibus

I have received pricing for the Profitrace.
there are two options, the Profitrace Pro and the Profitrace Plus
the Pro is $1700 more but includes PA Probe for measuring PA networks

There is a device called a Unigate CL-PBDPV1 I am not sure of its function other than it's a protocol converter.

Also, there are around 30 devices on the Profibus network including pressure and flow transmitters.

How do I know for sure if I have a PA network?