RSLogix500 Activation File problem

Chakija

My company has just recently purchased RSLogix500 software and I have installed it on my laptop and my desktop PC. When I tried moving the license from the master disk to my laptop I got the following error message:
Activation File may be in use, disk may be write protected or sharing services may be missing.
My operating system is Windows XP Home, and I used external USB floppy drive. Although I couldn't move the activation I could run RSLogix500 on my laptop if the master disk was in the floppy drive.
Also when I tried to move the activation on my desktop PC I had no problems (my desktop runs under Win2000).
Can any of you tell me if you had similar problems and how did you deal with it? Could it be a conflict between WinXP and this software? Any ideas are welcome.

ejessen is most likely correct.

Rockwell uses a single file for all activations, and will not allow that file to be modified if any are in use. You need to shut down completely all RSI products before attempting to move a license file.

For XP, right-click My Computer, select "Manage", expand "Services and Applications", click on "Services", and stop the following if they are running:
(To stop, right click, select 'Stop')

RSLinx
RSLinx Enterprise
Harmony
Rockwell Directory Services

You might also need to shutdown the following:

Rockwell HMI Framework
Rockwell Application Services
Rockwell Event Multiplexer
Rockwell Event Server
Rockwell HMI Activity Logger
Rockwell HMI Diagnostics

FactoryTalk Diagnostics Local rader
FS Service Control

-------------------------------

After all is said and done, you still may have troubles with Win XP HOME version. Home is severly crippled by Microsoft, and doesn't work with a lot of the more esoteric programs that we use in this industry.

Good luck!

I closed everything that you mentioned that I could find on my PC, but still nothing. I got the same error message.

Hi,

it seems that you can't use XP-Home.

[from Rockwell Site]
System-Requirements :
RSLogix 5/500

IBM®-compatible Pentium or greater
Microsoft® Windows® 98, Windows NT® SP6a, Windows 2000 Pro SP4 or Windows XP Pro SP1 (NOT SP2) Operating System
43MB of Hard Disk Space (or more based on application requirements)
64 MB RAM minimum
VGA or higher-resolution
Microsoft Internet Explorer 3.0
Windows 2000 Ready
3 1/2" Floppy Disk Drive for software activation

[/Ouote]

Rolf

My Logix500 is working tickety-boo on my XP Home (+SP2).

I duped my key-disk for use on our two laptops. No arsing round with poxy floppies that get corrupted if the weather changes. Disk not duped for boot-legging but saved on purchasing extra licenses for the same plant.

Try EVMOVE from utilities to see if token has transferred to the other PCs drive.

What happens if the key disk is write protected?
Will Logix still see the activation token on the floppy?

The problem may be due to your particular USB floppy. EVMOVE will move an activation between a non-removable disk and a floppy; if your floppy appears in your Windows explorer as a "Removable Disk" then EVMOVE won't move it. (Same thing happens with USM memory sticks, most appear as "Removable Disk" and can't accept an activation, a few don't appear that way and can accept one).

Also, use the RESET activation to check what activations are present as it can tell you which one's are in use and check all partitions from a single screen.

NOP said:
The problem may be due to your particular USB floppy. EVMOVE will move an activation between a non-removable disk and a floppy; if your floppy appears in your Windows explorer as a "Removable Disk" then EVMOVE won't move it. (Same thing happens with USM memory sticks, most appear as "Removable Disk" and can't accept an activation, a few don't appear that way and can accept one).

I've personnel never hade that problem using a USB Floppy. Don't know if it's because I'm using XP Pro, but all my activations have moved without a hitch.

Thanks for all the info guys.
I think I'll reinstall my laptop with WinXP Pro since Home can be a little tricky for some other applications too. 🔨
I'll see if it helps.

another trick you can try is to use your desktop to move the activation onto your network then from the network to your laptop

mordred said:
another trick you can try is to use your desktop to move the activation onto your network then from the network to your laptop
I think I'll try that. I installed WinXP Pro in the meantime, and I still have the same problem. I also noticed that moving the activation to my desktop doesn't work every time. I have to try a couple of times before it actually moves. Go figure. :confused: