SLC500, MicroLogix, ControlLogix, etc. Online Edits.

Tharon

I was wondering, is there any specific rhyme or reason to the ability to do online editing? Or is just some feature specific to the type of processor?

I believe the SLC 5/03 and higher has online editing (Which I love).
I've only played with ControlLogix5550, and that has online editing.
The micrologix, as far as I can tell, does not (I've only played with 1100 and 1200 though).

Is it just limitations onthe processor? I use Micrologix 1200 with the 40 base I/O a lot just cause it's so easy to wire up, but it really annoys me when I find a small problem that is fixable by just adding a bit to a rung, yet I have to shut the whole machine down so I can upload, change, and download. :(

Do any of the MicroLogix models have online editing? And why don't all the models have it? :(

I know, a lot of stupid questions that I probably already know the answer to (Of course the lack of Online Editting is because of the processor, right?)

The Micrologix 1100 does have online editing as well as ethernet communications and a nifty little LCD display.Im not an Allen Bradley expert, Maybe Ken Roach can reply but I would venture to guess that AB will most likely not introduce an new PLC without online editing.

Bob

I knew once I posted that I shouldn't have listed 1100 with the 1200. We have a small robotic production cell that uses 7 micrologix 1100s, and the ethernet port to communicate.

I didn't program any of them though, or make changes, just went online a few times for troubleshooting, so I didn't get to play with the much. 1200s are the only ones I have real experience with.

Now, 1100 came after the 1200 right? Kinda confuses me when numbers and chronological order don't go in order :)

In my opinion, the ML series are numbered by capacity, the 1000 being lowest the 1500 highest. While the 1100 is newer than the 1200, it doesn't support as much expansion I/O, so is rated lower in capacity.

Generation of the Rockwell PLC as

PLC-2
PLC-3
PLC-5
SLC-150
SLC-500
Micrologix-1000
Logix -5000
Micrologix -1500
Micrologix -1200
Micrologix -1100
as per my knowledge if anything wrong please correct me

And, back to the original question...

The SLC100/150, SLC500, SLC5/01, SLC5/02 did not have online edits. That was part of the trade off of making them physically smaller and cheaper (which was the benefit of those products at that time).

As technology evolved and they could stuff more into smaller space, they gave the options of online edits. That was introduced with the SLC5/03 (in that series). I've been in this biz long enough to remember being really excited about online editting being available in a small-form PLC!

Prior to the ML1100 you could say that if it had a key it supported online programming. No key, no online editing. The 1100 uses the LCD to change the mode.

I would have to plead ignorance to the PLC-2 and PLC-3 as to whether the same applies to them. I'm pretty sure they do but I wouldn't swear to it.

OG