Shaft speed counting with Micrologix 1100 high speed counter.

tribologist

Hi,

I am a very inexperienced PLC programmer. I purchased a Micrologix 1100 and the RSlogix to play with last year. Recently I found an application for it and I like to put it in use.

I like to use it as a watchdog in a bearing test rig. One of the things I like to prevent is over speed conditions.

I have a 2/rev PNP signal and I operate between 0 and 2000 rpm. I am trying to find out how I can use the 20 kHz high speed counter to measure the shaft speed withing 5% of actual speed.

Any one out there with experience with the Micrologix HSC function that have some ideas?

Ulf

[email protected]

Look at the HSC function in the manual. It gives a good example, search the forum under AB HSC counter and encoder. There are lots of links. Try to understand how it works first.....

Ulf...

here is one of the applications i worked on before...it uses micrologix1000 plc with high speed counter.

Thanks bio PLC. I looked through your program and I found how you used the counter. I am quite comfortable with using it that way to count to a given preset. The one I have an issue with is to measure frequency or period time. I need to try to dig through the documentation and try to find a way.

Do you think it is easier to measure period time than counting number of passes over say 6 seconds?

Ulf

bioplc,

I think I need to use HSC to count pulses from a PWM output on a MicroLogix 1200. The PWM is being used to send a varying frequency at a fixed 11% duty cycle to a set of snowmobile gages. I don't believe that I can get this information for a software count; I think I need to wire it to an input set-up for HSC in parallel with the gages under test. The goal is to determine accuracy of the gages over the speed scale. The customer wants 2519 pulses to equal 1 mile. I was thinking of setting the HSC up for this count and this would increment another counter each time it's done -- which would give me a mile count (up 32,767 miles). Question is... how do I set-up the HSC in a 1200? I can't find any info in the manual.

thx,
ron