Micrologix 1500 firmware update.

Elcan

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,
I'm trying to update a Micrologix 1500 processor firmware to version 13, and I'm getting this error message:
"Illegal command format.
DTE_E_FAIL, I/O completed with errors".

Then, the update is stopped.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Refer to Knowledgebase 24343

If you can't read it then at least be sure about the following:

Be in PROGRAM mode

Make sure serial port is in default configuration

Make sure RSLinx is at least 2.59

Last edited:
Refer to Knowledgebase 24343

If you can't read it then at least be sure about the following:

Be in PROGRAM mode

Make sure serial port is in default configuration

Make sure RSLinx is at least 2.59

Thank you for your comments:
I read case 24343 and I followed the instructions, but no success. The problem is that, due to the previous failed transfers, some of the processor LEDs are flashing:
RUN: green flashing .
FAULT: red flashing
FORCE: amber flashing

Is the processor bricked?

The manual doesn't have an explenation for the 'Amber Flashing' of the 'Force' LED. Straigt Amber is 'Forces Exist'

Run LED - Green Flashing - system is not in Run mode; memory module transfer is in progress

Fault LED - Red Flashing - faulted user program

I don't know the procedure to get it to a good state.

The manual does have this not farther on -​

Missing/Corrupt OS LED Pattern

When an operating system download is not successful or if the controller does not contain a valid operating system, the controller flashes the Run, Force, and Fault LEDS on and off.

Though it doesn't say what to do next. I suggest calling AB.

Last edited:
Thank you for your advice.
AB is not always very cooperative, though.

They are very helpfull. Espescially if you have a Tech Connect Contract. Then there is no end to the level of service you may ask for. Actually I can't remember calling them about anything they couldn't help me with.

I have not had much luck with anything that has failed a firmware update... but if you can still communicate then you have a chance, all the other times I have bricked something I would loose com's and the led's would be solid

Do you know anyone that has support? maybe they can email AB, it sounds like it can be saved... just not sure if its worth it