Compact Logix Communications

fredjohns

I had this problem a few weeks back and I had been out of the office but now I am back and hoping to get a solution. I have a Compact Logix PLC on our PLC trainer. The PLC is a 1769-L16ER-BB1B Series B controller. When I try and connect to it on the ethernet port using RSLinx Classic I see a yellow question mark with a red X through it. I am in the past I would right click on the question mark and install the new EDS file but when I click on it I do not get that option. I am assuming I am missing the EDS file for this PLC. Is there a way I can find out exactly what EDS file I need for this controller or am I trying to connect to it incorrectly. The PLC already has an IP address assigned to it. I open the ether net driver in RSLinx and set it up for that IP address but all i get is the question mark. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You have not mentioned pinging the PLC just to check that the PC & the PLC are still on the same network .

I have a cable going from the ethernet port on the laptop and running to the ethernet port on the compact Logix PLC, when I PING it, it fails, it acts like the its not even plug in. I tried a new ethernet cable and get the same result. Any suggestions

No, I was not aware that I would need to do that. I have used this laptop on other PLC's in the plant with no problems but none of them were compact Logix's.

What do i need to do to set my laptops IP address

If you are connecting directly from PC to PLC you may need a cross-over ethernet cable or alternatively a simple network switch between the PC & PLC
You have not mention which O.S. is on your laptop , so in general , go to the ethernet adapter , go to properties , select Internet protocol Ver 4 and again click properties . This should give the IP address etc.

The laptop is running on Windows 10
I will try plugging the laptop into an ethernet switch and then plug the PLC into to switch also and see what happens. Right now I am using a regular straight through ethernet cable

Configuring the IP address in Windows 10 is the same as in 7 however you will be much better off using the USB port. If you're not familiar with configuring you PC's IP address you could be opening a can of worms. Not to say that it can't be dealt with but why do more than you have to? Get a UBS "Printer" cable (it will have the correct USB connector on the PLC end) and simply plug it into the PLC and the PC. RSLinx will find the connection and automatically setup the driver. This is assuming you have the correct version of RSLinx. With that setup you won't have to worry about changing anything on the PC or the PLC's to get a connection. You will have a simple to use path to the PLC.

Easily set IP address from shortcut

Greetings...

Just a general tip for easily jumping back and forth between DHCP and Static IP configurations on your Win7 or Win10 PC. You can either create shortcuts for these commands, or simply use the 'run' field on the task bar. Works with wired or wireless.

Static syntax: C:\Windows\System32\netsh.exe interface ip set address [name of your LAN] static [IP quad] [mask quad]
DHCP syntax: C:\Windows\System32\netsh.exe interface ip set address [name of your LAN] dhcp

Note: I am generally lazy, so I renamed my lan and wlan to, you guessed it, LAN and WLAN on the network config. You do not have to do this.

Static example:
C:\Windows\System32\netsh.exe interface ip set address LAN static 192.168.0.20 255.255.255.0

DHCP example:
C:\Windows\System32\netsh.exe interface ip set address LAN dhcp

I have a few dozen of these configured as shortcuts in a folder for different on-site clients. Very convenient and very quick. There are also other settings you can configure from the same command line if needed for those certain 'special case clients'... just Google netsh.

As you were...
Steve

Greetings...

Just a general tip for easily jumping back and forth between DHCP and Static IP configurations on your Win7 or Win10 PC. You can either create shortcuts for these commands, or simply use the 'run' field on the task bar. Works with wired or wireless.

Static syntax: C:\Windows\System32\netsh.exe interface ip set address [name of your LAN] static [IP quad] [mask quad]
DHCP syntax: C:\Windows\System32\netsh.exe interface ip set address [name of your LAN] dhcp

Note: I am generally lazy, so I renamed my lan and wlan to, you guessed it, LAN and WLAN on the network config. You do not have to do this.

Static example:
C:\Windows\System32\netsh.exe interface ip set address LAN static 192.168.0.20 255.255.255.0

DHCP example:
C:\Windows\System32\netsh.exe interface ip set address LAN dhcp

I have a few dozen of these configured as shortcuts in a folder for different on-site clients. Very convenient and very quick. There are also other settings you can configure from the same command line if needed for those certain 'special case clients'... just Google netsh.

As you were...
Steve

This is a great tip, I can't wait to forget it! :ROFLMAO: