Siemens - CU320 with Starter X127 comms issue

Rob...

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi All,

I have a Simens CU320 drive controller that I wish to connect to via the X127 ethernet port.

The unit communicates with the CPU vua profibus. Unfortunatly the A2 adaptor I have must have been damaged on a flight sometime an is not working.

I've got a cat5 so I figure go through the X127 port.

Now see 2 attached pictures, when I try to set the target device address it is all greyed out. The target device address is still 21 (profibus node) even with the PG/PC set to TCP/IP.

FYI, I can see the device in the accessable devices node. I could also upload the device, so I have worked around it. I'd just like to know what's causing the issue when I open the configuration from the S7 project.

2.png 1.png

Just a guess, but if you've selected Ethernet for the commissioning interface then the Profibus Address is not used.

Agree, but the target device address (the one with the warning triangle) should be the IP address of X127.

It's showing the node value 21, and of course attempting to go online like this fails. As "21" is not an IP address.

Have you tried searching for the drive with Proneta ?

No, but like I mention. I can see the device in the available device tree. I can also upload and create a new project through the X127 port. So I know my PG/PC is correct, along with all other comms.

The question was, why is it greyed out in this situation? I should be able to change the connection path to an IP address. Even starter realises there is a fault with using the profibus node of 21 with TCP/IP communication.

It looks to me like you are online in picture No. 2

If you are able to upload and download to the drive, I would setup the communication in the program when offline, and download to the drive.

There is a warning triangle next to the "target device address". What happens when you click on the "change" button ?
Do you get access to setting the IP address ?

You are probably using STARTER in combination with STEP7 Classic. I havent used this with CU320, but for other CU's I usually setup a PG/PC Station in the STEP7 Project. This helps with getting the addresses and connections setup in the right way.
Have you setup a PG/PC in the STEP7 Project ?
It is possible that STEP7/NetPro can see that the CU320 is connected by Profibus, i.e. it assumes you want to connect from your PG/PC via a routed connection and the PLC.
Since the Profibus port is damaged, and the CU320 is not connected to Profibus in reality, you can try to disconnect the drive from Profibus in NetPro and see if it fixes the problem.edit: My bad, it is your PC adapter that is damaged not the CU320.
You should still be able to set the correct IP address. Is the CU320 connected to the same LAN network as the PG/PC in NetPro ?

Last edited:
There is a warning triangle next to the "target device address". What happens when you click on the "change" button ?
Do you get access to setting the IP address ?

You are probably using STARTER in combination with STEP7 Classic. I havent used this with CU320, but for other CU's I usually setup a PG/PC Station in the STEP7 Project. This helps with getting the addresses and connections setup in the right way.
Have you setup a PG/PC in the STEP7 Project ?
It is possible that STEP7/NetPro can see that the CU320 is connected by Profibus, i.e. it assumes you want to connect from your PG/PC via a routed connection and the PLC.
Since the Profibus port is damaged, and the CU320 is not connected to Profibus in reality, you can try to disconnect the drive from Profibus in NetPro and see if it fixes the problem.edit: My bad, it is your PC adapter that is damaged not the CU320.
You should still be able to set the correct IP address. Is the CU320 connected to the same LAN network as the PG/PC in NetPro ?

Using starter in Step 7. However there is no ethernet network in netpro. I did add one to test, didn't make a difference.

If I click on the change button, I get to pic 2.

I'm back in the office now, however I'm going to set some drives up here, see if its a repeatable issue. Possibly a bug with starter? Or I'm missing something stupid.