Starting a Automation and Integration Contracting Business

Clients have become more and more risk averse over the years. You won't be considered by most without the coverage Steve Bailey identified. Note that in most states workman's compensation is mandated by state legislation and you will be subject to penalties if you do business without it.

You will find that many prospects will want proof of auto insurance as well as general liability and professional liability.

There is federal and state unemployment compensation legislation as well - not exactly insurance, and as a principle you can never collect, but you have to pay in. LLC is probably the way to go.

You might want to talk to associates, contractors you liked working with, and the AGC, all of whom might be able to make recommendations.

You can often have a reasonable limit policy and then have a rider added if one client insists on more coverage. A good agent should be able to explain this to you.