Reversing Relay Suggestions?

Does it need to be both mechanically & electrically interlocked? Most quality ones are.

No it doesn't as the current setup is just two standard relays w/o mech interlock. The little actuators are fairly cheap. Have interlocks in the prog, kind of like the size of this phoenix one might just have to try and sneak it through if I can't find something similar cheaper.

Also, my load is a lot less than 4A was thinking of a different actuator. The ones I use the relays on are only .4A stall.

Could you explain what this is used for, as I have never seen one of these. Looking at the data sheet for pheonix version, are you just swapping control voltage or something to the motor? I'll look up later also, but good to get info from those who use it regularly.

Could you explain what this is used for, as I have never seen one of these. Looking at the data sheet for pheonix version, are you just swapping control voltage or something to the motor? I'll look up later also, but good to get info from those who use it regularly.

It's to reverse the polarity to the armature of a DC motor. Small DC motors usually have small simple DC drives that don't have reversing capability built in, so you use small power relays or contactors to do it external to the drive.

EDIT: You got me to thinking that maybe nowadays built-in reverse might be more readily available and what-do-you-know:

https://www.automationdirect.com/ad...drives#Controller_Type_ms="Reversing"&start=0

The OP could possibly update the DC drive and eliminate mechanical reversing relays altogether for a cost similar to the Phoenix Contact unit.

Last edited:
A drive I've used successfully in some fairly nasty environments(rotary welding tables for one) is made by KB Electronics, price was about $140usd. Part number was KBMG-21D. Four quadrant, regen braking, 0-10v external speed control (or pot), the only drawback was the lack of a DIN rail mount.

This drive is only capable of 90/180vdc armature, so if you're dealing with 12/24v it won't work.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, still leaning toward pushing the Phoenix in my BOM. Simply for its foot print. Its like 1/8" slimmer than a single relay I currently use so I will be saving a decent amount of always precious panel space. Claims to have reverse polarity protection as well, and as I said the DC actuators are fairly inexpensive. Maybe some more vendors will get on board with a similar design. It reminds me a lot of the Siemens SIRIUS motor starters those guys are crazy space savers when you have a bunch of small motor loads.

If its a simple DC motor, an easy way to do reversing is to use a DPDT relay and wire the two NC and NO contacts in a X pattern, then connect the motors power to the COM terminals, then the motor to both NC contacts.

Normally the relay will simply pass through the current through the NC contacts so that would be forward, energizing the relay would switch them around to get reverse. If you need a some safety involved, use a force guided relay.

Mike