Windows 10 IOT - Where to get it?

harryting

Lifetime Supporting Member
I know some of you folks does a lot of HMI projects and probably got reseller agreement with Microsoft so I thought I ask here.

From some of the past treads, it seems a decent fit as a stripped down version of Win10 without all the consumer junks.

Some of our vendors (ABB, GE, etc)are starting to offer Win10 IOT as the base OS for their HMI build. I am also doing some of the HMI project in-house and I can't find where to get it from.

Any ideas? If you are a reseller of it, PM me.

If you are referring to Windows 10 LTSC, we buy our licenses from Advantech. Just a heads up, becareful which ISO you use. Apparently there is a ISO that is for "evaluation" purposes and it can't be activated with the LTSC license. We found this out the hard way.

Ok, I managed to get myself more confused which is typical.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/iot-core/windows-iot-enterprise

There seems to be two version of IOT, Core and Enterprise. Core being for small embedded device with atom or celeron processor and Enterprise seems to be more like a regular Windows 10. right?

I looked around Advantech. Win10 IOT seems to be processor specific, I wonder how specific? Would a version that says Intel i7 run on i5? Does the license include the media or media download? How does patching for IoT work?

On Advantech page, they also makes a distinction between IOT and IOT LTSC license. If my guess is correct, the LTSC version is not eligible for update or limited update?

Quote"Microsoft makes available a new Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC release approximately every three years. Each Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC release is its own SKU and contains all the new capabilities and support updates included in the Windows 10 IoT Enterprise features updates since the previous LTSC release. To access these feature updates, a new Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC SKU license must be purchased. For example, to get access to the new security, deployment, and management updates and features released since the launch of Windows 10 IoT Enterprise 2016 LTSC, a license for Windows 10 IoT Enterprise 2019 LTSC must be purchased, and an update applied to the device."

LTSC is long term support channel.

That translates to this release will have updates for security etc. for ten years but not for features, for features you need to have a new license.

When doing sw for a complex medical system, you would want to have the security to have the same release available for long time, that is guaranteed with the ltsc (10 years).

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com...-is-it-and-when-should-it-be-used/ba-p/293181

Follow up on this: today my home computer running win10 pops up this message:

"Your version of Windows 10 will soon reach the end of service. Restart to install a newer version"

So I guess regular Windows 10 will run into this unless is using LTSC?

If you are referring to Windows 10 LTSC, we buy our licenses from Advantech. Just a heads up, becareful which ISO you use. Apparently there is a ISO that is for "evaluation" purposes and it can't be activated with the LTSC license. We found this out the hard way.

Bump, I can download the current LTSC via Microsoft Evaluation center. However, one HMI vendor just told me they "only" officially support a few selected LTSC revisions.

While I'm sure any Windows 10 will run it just fine it also concerns me they use that excuse in the future in a troubleshooting scenario. So, where to get specific version of LTSC?

There are IT guys in our company that got access to MSDN, maybe I can buy them a cup of coffee and see if they would help.