Virtual Machine for Studio 5000

Scotty13

Hi guys,

Can anybody give advice on what is best way to isolate AB software from general Windows system on PC/laptop. I thought to install AB software on virtual machine such as VMWare, VM VirtualBox or default Windows VM. If anybody has experience with it, please share you you way how to achieve stable VM with AB software.

Regards,
Scotty

I use VirtualBox, though I'd guess that VMWare is probably more common. I run one VM with everything Rockwell in it. Some run multiple VM's broken up in various ways, maybe a Studio5000 VM and a RSLogix5000 VM. Or a Windows 7 VM and a Windows 10 VM. I run Logix v13 - 33 and FactoryTalk View Studio ME v10 in a single Windows 7 VM.

Many people here use VMware Workstation (like me) and many people use Oracle's VirtualBox. I don't think you go wrong either way. I don't think too many are using Microsoft Hyper-V based product as it is more geared towards servers rather than individual users.

I use one RA VM regularly with all the software I need. But I have others that I use when I need older versions (usually for FactoryTalk View).

You do need to be careful about Windows licensing. Each VM is the equivalent to a physical machine and require its own Windows licenses. There is some debate as to whether each VM needs a license, or if each running VM needs a license. I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV.

Both VirtualBox and VMware have free offerings. But VMware is only free for non-commercial use. Which means we must buy it if we are using it for work-related tasks. They will see you a license for VMware Workstation Pro Player

VirtualBox is free too, sort of. The base package is free even for commercial use. They also have something called an "Extension Pack". This adds support for features like USB 2.0 and 3.0, Remote Desktop (RDP) support, and encryption. To me, that is a must have. But that requires a license for commercial use. And they only sell those licenses in a minimum quantity of 100. But, because they operate on a trust basis, they do not prevent you from using it without having the license. Using the software with this extension pack and without a license may get you in trouble with your corporate overlords. But to me, it seems like Oracle would rather not deal with selling single licenses, but they reserve the right to sue you at a later date. I have always been hesitant to use VirtualBox beyond just trying it out (non-commercial). If they sold individual licenses, I would give them a serious look. But in my company environment, I'm not going to risk it.

OG

I don't actually use VMs for my work (I really should, I know), but I have set up a couple VirtualBox VMs with Rockwell software in them and it worked well. Hopefully once I have a more powerful work machine I can set up a good working environment using VMs.

I plan to use it for work. I think about VM because AB soft install a lot of extra that sometimes damage my other development software for robots or else.
I will call Microsoft to figure out their licensing requirements. I don't like idea to have separate Win license for each VM image :(

UPD: Each VM instance require separate license. Welcome to pay-to-play world!
You can find this info the EULA: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/UseTerms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm - see section 2. d. iv

Use in a virtualized environment. This license allows you to install only one instance of the software for use on one device, whether that device is physical or virtual. If you want to use the software on more than one virtual device, you must obtain a separate license for each instance.

I use a Windows 10 LTSC VM. You can get the license on eBay for $5 bucks. It's a stripped down version of Windows 10 and you can also disable the Automatic updates which have a tendency to kill Rockwell Software.

I use a Windows 10 LTSC VM. You can get the license on eBay for $5 bucks. It's a stripped down version of Windows 10 and you can also disable the Automatic updates which have a tendency to kill Rockwell Software.

Which almost certainly makes it "not legal"

Well, it looks like eBay cracked down on Microsoft "grey market" stuff lately. I sure can't find Windows 10 for $10 anymore.

I'm still confused on all the different Windows 10 version; IOT, IOT Core/Enterprise, and LTSC.