Power outage notifications.

HoldenC

This may not be the best place for this question, but I figured it was worth a shot.

We have a factory that has frequent quick power failures, and causes some of our equipment to shut down that needs to be running at all time.

So , we are looking into a power failure notification system. Something that can send out SMS messages when it detects a power outage.

I did some research, but have only came across smaller companies making such devices, and I would a little hesitant to try since I cant find any reviews.

Does anyone here use anything like this ?

I used in early 2000's some GSM modems connected to the PLC through an RS232 port.

You have to compose and send the appropriate character string to the modem and that's all.

Of course, in your case, the power supply of the PLC and modem should be assured with an UPS.

I have a PLC monitoring the incoming voltage, with the PLC having its own UPS. If the power drops below a set value (brownout = 95 Volts if I remember) it emails out an email and a SMS to ###########@vtext.com which shows as a text on Verizon phones. The network is on a UPS that will last for 6 hours.

Almost all cell carriers have a similar email address for texting their phones.

Thanks everyone for their replies and suggestions. I am currently reviewing them now.

Currently, I was looking at the website : pumpalarm.com

This device can alert up to 3 people via text message when power has been turned off, and when it has been restored. It also runs off of 4g cell service. It contains its own battery backup, so when the whole plant goes down (network included), it can still send out alerts.

If you have equipment "that needs to be running at all time", do you not have a backup generator? If so, and there is an Automatic Transfer Switch involved, most of them have the ability to provide notification of a transfer of power from the utility to the backup source.

If there is no backup generator, most likely someone needs to evaluate the real COST of down time and restarting, vs the cost to have and maintain a backup generaotr.9 times out of 110 the generator wins if you really calculate your losses and costs correctly.