OT: Microsoft Excel- Offline use

harryting

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm wondering what people do these day when Excel is needed on an offline computer. Look at Microsoft Store's link, it seems it does require internet access.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/mic...activetab=pivot:regionofsystemrequirementstab

The problem is that a lot of historian (Proficy Historian, OSI PI, etc) and other related industrial app still use Excel as data client. Using open-source office suite is not really an option as far as I know. I use Libraoffice at home but their "Extension" (Addon) isn't compatible with Excel Addon as far as i know.

This going to be a bigger issue in the future too, as MSFT shift to online. maybe it's time for all the industrial software vendor to support Extensions for free office suite like Libraoffice.

One of the issue is also version compatibility. Microsoft like to just call it Excel now instead of 2016 or 2019. I had to go to Amazon and see the box actually says 2019 so I guess that's what I'm buying for the perpetual licensed one.

I would file this in the same folder as Windows updates breaking production machines.

I think the industry needs to move away from Microsoft as a foundation overall. They have clearly showed that they have no interest in stability for the commonly used products in the industry.

I use Office 365 and have used it offline a lot... but here is what they say

I want to work offline

If you prefer to use Office without an internet connection, you still need to stay signed in. Just connect to the internet every 30 days so that Office can check your subscription status.

So maybe it will work for 30 days then error out?

I use Office 365 and have used it offline a lot... but here is what they say

So maybe it will work for 30 days then error out?

yes, this is how it worked for me. If offline too long, a banner pops up at the top that says you have x many days to make an online connection. After the days are expired, it quits working until you make another connection.

I would file this in the same folder as Windows updates breaking production machines.

I think the industry needs to move away from Microsoft as a foundation overall. They have clearly showed that they have no interest in stability for the commonly used products in the industry.

I agree. Ability to work offline is very important.