RSLogix 500 pro / standard

andy_1983

Hi,

I’m looking at the difference between standard and pro versions of RSLogix 500.

I know the pro version lets you edit the database in excel, which I like. But does it do anything else worth having? I can’t justify new licenses just to edit in excel, when I can do an export out of the standard version to do more or less the same.

I’m just wondering what justifies the price difference?

Thanks

Andy

Hi,

I’m looking at the difference between standard and pro versions of RSLogix 500.

I know the pro version lets you edit the database in excel, which I like. But does it do anything else worth having? I can’t justify new licenses just to edit in excel, when I can do an export out of the standard version to do more or less the same.

I’m just wondering what justifies the price difference?

Thanks

Andy

I believe that Pro lets you edit Structured Text and Function Block. I have 1 L73 where I used Structured Text and I need a Pro license when I am editing it. I can't remember if I can view it online with a standard license.

My opposite underground (at our mill) has Function Block in every L71 he has. He really can't do anything with our Standard licenses except reload a faulted PLC.

I guess it boils down to what programming language you have used, or expect to use.

The OP said RSLogix 500, not RSLogix 5000....FBD and STX are not part of the SLC 500 family. Only ladder logic. In my opinion there isn't much benefit to the Pro version of RSLogix 500.
In edition to the in-place Excel editing:

• Option for forward and backward like you have on a web browser (previous page, next page). This is the Logic Trace toolbar.
  • Custom Graphic Monitors (CGM) are a graphical version of a Custom Data Monitor.
  • The Visual Basic Editor and Macro. I've never used this myself.
  • Source Control. I've never used this myself.
  • FactoryTalk Diagnostics. I've never used this myself.
  • ActiveX Controls. I've never used this myself.

OG

Yes, it’s RSL500 we use.

Thanks for your advice. You’ve answered the question really - it doesn’t seem worth the upgrade.

Andy

Used RSLogx500 for decades and not needed those other features.

Only feature that would help a company is source protection. But is not the RsLogix500 fall under the "********" universal password bypass like the PLC5? Unless your not worried about other people seeing your work I would not worry about this feature.

The Logic Trace feature is a great feature that should have been included in the Standard Edition. It is helpful to those troubleshooting.

All the other features are aimed more towards developers and power users.

OG

andy_1983 said:
...I’m just wondering what justifies the price difference?...

Most significantly, RSLogix 500 Professional Edition also includes RSNetWorx for CNet, DNet, ENet and Emulate software, but these may be purchased separately if going with RSLogix 500 Standard Edition.

Regards,
George

Good point...

And it had RSEmulate 500 back before it was free. I guess if you needed RSNetWorx for DeviceNet it was handy to get it all in one.

Cnet and Enet packages weren't needed with the SLC, but you could always use it for other equipment like PLC-5 or Logix 5000.

OG

Yes, before I had RSLogix 5000 Professional Edition, back in the day, I had RSLogix 500 Standard Edition and had purchased RSNetWorx for DeviceNet standalone. I had no real use for ControlNet or EtherNet/IP.

Of course, now that I have them all with Studio 5000 Professional Edition, I could drop the standalone copy for DeviceNet. Except I have an old Compaq PC running in an enclosure beside a main panel for a large conveyance system with a couple of SLC/PowerFlex 40 DeviceNet networks/scanners. So I have kept that copy and license it on just that PC. I'm actually going to use it again this Saturday when production is stopped (normally never near it for years) as we have just added in one of two extra conveyors to the system. I got the PowerFlex 40 drives added in and running in manual last week. I had two spare drives/COMM modules and the spacing and holes to mount the PowerFlex 40 line filter base were already prepped. Otherwise I would retrofit PowerFlex 525 drives and 25-COMM-D adapters. Plus, for the OCD folks, it looks better with all the PowerFlex 40 drives all neatly lined up in perfect rows!

Just need to tie in the network COMM modules this week. I have the loops of DeviceNet cable made up ready to break into the network and then some magic in the program and scanners to do. Been a while since I've touched DeviceNet but always enjoyed the satisfaction of getting stuff up and running on it. Once done right, it's bombproof.

Anyhoot, RSLogix 500 Standard Edition and a standalone copy of RSNetWorx for DeviceNet should suffice for most folks working on typical applications of this architecture. Professional including RSNetWorx for "Anything" is just convenient. It should not really be considered its strong selling point. It's "just what makes it more expensive". Pick and choose from the other features mentioned, if they are of interest. Like heavy Recipe usage, VBA scripting and of course the Excel DB editing.

This technote includes a useful features matrix...

ID: IN3000 | Access Levels: Everyone
RSLogix 500 and RSLogix Micro Version Features, Part Numbers and Supported Controllers

Regards,
George