Taking FactoryTalk ME HMI projects from one computer to the next. Not showing up .

Good Morning ,

I placed a FactoryTalk ME application on a thumb drive . I copied it and pasted it in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\RSView Enterprise\ME\HMI projects. When I go to open FactoryTalk View Studio , when
existing projects comes up , they are not in the list to choose from.

Why is that ? FYI , I don't have those in Archive or Runtime form .

Thanks again.

When I go to open FactoryTalk View Studio , when existing projects comes up , they are not in the list to choose from.

Why is that ? FYI , I don't have those in Archive or Runtime form .

FactoryTalk View Studio does not know your project exits (because it did not create it)
Just select the "New" tab and give your application a name, then select "Import" and pick the FTV ME Project (*.med) and browse to your copied project and select the *.med file name and "Finish".

Next time on the original machine using the Application Manager to Backup your project. This will create a .APA file. Copy that .APA to your USB drive and then insert that drive into the target computer. Then use the Application Manager on that PC to "Restore" the application. That is the proper way to transfer.

I would tell people, if you went to the folder where Microsoft Office was installed and copied all those files to a new PC, would Word run? No. Since it has not been installed it would not run. Merely copying the files isn't enough. The same is true here. The application needs to be registered/identified within the FactoryTalk system. Backup and Restore accomplishes this.

Likewise, if you went to the folder and deleted or renamed the application files, it would still show up, but it would fail to open.

OG

Next time on the original machine using the Application Manager to Backup your project. This will create a .APA file. Copy that .APA to your USB drive and then insert that drive into the target computer. Then use the Application Manager on that PC to "Restore" the application. That is the proper way to transfer.

I would tell people, if you went to the folder where Microsoft Office was installed and copied all those files to a new PC, would Word run? No. Since it has not been installed it would not run. Merely copying the files isn't enough. The same is true here. The application needs to be registered/identified within the FactoryTalk system. Backup and Restore accomplishes this.

Likewise, if you went to the folder and deleted or renamed the application files, it would still show up, but it would fail to open.

OG

Just to add to that, make sure you are using version 8.0 or higher.

The project backup before that version did not do a good job of backing up your security. It would overwrite all of the FTView security on the new computer; or you had to recreate your security in the restored project; your choice!

Version 8.0 fixes that.

Thanks for this. I managed to restore a project from my laptop that doesn't have a licence, to my other laptop with a licence. I copied the project folders/files, and then created a new project and pointed to the .med file.

Hi guys i have a problem i opened a ftview se project on another system it opened but in displays it shows "?" in every text field and in i/o fields does anyone know about that???

FTViewME

I'm commissioning a new computer. My old computer has 145 FTViewME projects that I want to copy to my new computer. Is there a simple way to do this without having to back up and restore each project?

I'm commissioning a new computer. My old computer has 145 FTViewME projects that I want to copy to my new computer. Is there a simple way to do this without having to back up and restore each project?

Not that I know of. Not aware of a tool that can process more than one application at a time.

OG

Hi guys i have a problem i opened a ftview se project on another system it opened but in displays it shows "?" in every text field and in i/o fields does anyone know about that???
Probably because there is no connection between the Controller and the runtime.. you may need to re-do back the communication path for the runtime

It is because the project used a different "language" than is used on the new computer.

The default is US English. If you use anything else on the new copy of FTV none of the text will work.

abdulrehman777 said:

Hi Geoff,

Just a heads up. Our friend above actually started their own thread for this the other day and we addressed it there, similar to your advice. Not sure if they got sorted after though as they've not yet come back?

FT view SE

Regards,
George