OT - but might be related to car industry automation...

daba

Lifetime Supporting Member
... yesterday I removed the plastic liner on the tail-gate of my Kia Soul to get at the broken reversing camera...

It has 12 of those plastic "snap" clips holding it in place, and (not relevant) two screws.

I was slightly surprised to see that just 1 of the 12 clips was red, all the others being white.

It got me thinking there might be some sort of "recognition" taking place for automated assembly, but without hijacking someone else's car to see if the same clip is red I cannot pin it down.

Or is it just a random occurrence - I'm confident someone on here has worked in automotive and can give me, and my peace of mind, an answer...

TIA

Is the red clip normally visible by the end user? (Before anything was removed or relocated to facilitate service.)
What is the vehicle interior color scheme? Exterior?

Several things cross my mind. Could be included as an aesthetic design element. Could be that's the first or last clip the operator is supposed to attach, or some other position locator for the operator. Could be that is the only clip preinstalled or not preinstalled by the supplier.

Machine vision wouldn't surprise me too much, but it would surprise me that the camera is looking for color rather than shape.

No the clips aren't visible to the end user - they are just used to fasten the trim onto the vehicle, and my bad, 11 of the clips are yellow, not white, just one red one.

2020-12-23 03.31.55.jpg

No LC - it looks like it may work! LOL Until the plastic goes to ****!

May be it was a Friday afternoon and A Bob said “%^&* we're out of yellow, throw red one in and lets get the eff out of here”?

Happy Holidays!

Might be a good idea to start pulling apart other pieces and see if there are more rogue red trim fasteners elsewhere!

My neighbor has a Kia Soul. He does not lock his car, let me know if you want to try out his car.

Can I suggest he pops it off himself to have a look ? Two screws and then just yank it right off. Takes about 5 minutes max.

I would gladly come and look myself, but international travel at this time is a tad restrictive ....