Is anybody interested in phasing axes?

Originally posted by Peter Nachtwey:

Yes, the feed forwards and gains must be tuned very well.

And then some. Since there really wasn't an explanation along with this I assumed you were doing this completely model-based. I don't know about the industries you work in but in the industries I'm in the model parameters required to do a fully model-based winding system without some type of external feedback just aren't consistent enough. Unless, of course, you can live with significant tension errors, which some processes can. I agree you don't specifically need a dancer but you will need something.

Originally posted by Peter Nachtwey:

The question is still the same whether you are using a motion controller or not. When should you phase forward and when should you phase backward.

That seems a very device/process dependent question. I have worked on machines where retarding to phase would create damage. All phasing needed to be accomplished in the forward direction. But the controllers I have worked with will allow the user to select the phasing type, forward, backward or shortest, as well as the maximum allowable displacement per phase correction, the maximum allowable phase move velocity and the phasing accel/decel and jerk rates. Basically let the motion controller do it.

Keith