Micro850 & CCW

bbishop108

Good day one and all! So I have an issue I am trying to work thru and when I found a solution for it, that's where my problem continues. It seems the solution is far more difficult a solution that what I was hoping for.

So I am trying to use 2 type J thermocouples with this PLC, they are grounded type TC's so I cannot use the 2085-IRT4 expansion module as it ONLY works with ungrounded TC's. Info that would have been nice to have before I ordered this module.

So after I chat with RA, they informed me that a need a 3rd party's plug-in module. Spectrum Controls 2080sc-IF4U universal analog module, perfect so I go ahead and get one. Sadly not plug and play, after yet another chat with RA low and behold there is a tech note for this specific module and even a sample program on Spectrum Controls web page for this module.

Here is where the problem for me is with this solution! Apparently there is data that needs to be entered using Structured Text, of which I have ZERO experience using. Then there are special instructions in CCW that also have to be utilized: PLUGIN_READ, PLUGIN_WRITE, and PLUGIN_INFO.

So this so-called solution seems way more complicated than the original problem. As such I feel I am going to require so serious step-by-step instructions in order to get this working. I know I can't get that from RA, so I am hoping some awesome wizard here has dealt with this before and has experience with this type of issue. Thanks

So me not knowing anything about signal conditioners, so TC in and Analog out. But I need temperature displayed, how does this Analog out translate to temperature?

I suppose my real issue is the fact that I chose the wrong PLC platform, probably should have gone with a ML1100 and not this Micro850. I can't change that now, but I do need a viable solution for displaying current tank temp with the TC's that I have. I very much want to avoid having to try and use that 2080sc_IF4U plug-in module if at all possible.

So if there is a way to connect my TC's to the signal conditioner, and then connect the signal conditioners to the PLC and still be able to display the correct tank temp then I am all for that!

I know that AB has a line of signal conditioners, but I don't know how to connect them to a Micro850 or if they require additional programming with CCW.

Yes, that would be greatly appreciated as I know I will need all the help i can get. I have currently reached out to my local AB rep to recommend a signal conditioner that I can use with the Micro850. Thanks

Well, I have a question regarding these signal conditioners. Do I have to match the temperature range of the thermocouple to a signal conditioner with the same temperature range? For example: my tank temp will never be above 500 deg F, my TC has a much higher temp range, I found a signal conditioner that has a max temp of 500 deg F. Will this be an issue with scaling since my TC has a higher temp range than the signal conditioner?

Yes, that would be greatly appreciated as I know I will need all the help i can get. I have currently reached out to my local AB rep to recommend a signal conditioner that I can use with the Micro850. Thanks

Don't do this.
Just go ahead and get any of the hundreds available from just about every industrial electrical supplier.

IFM, PhoenixContact, Automation Direct all have signal conditioners, and are most likely about a thousand dollars cheaper than anything recommended by your AB distributor.

Oh, and match the signal conditioner input to the type of thermocouple you are using.

Last edited:
damica1: So I just received my ProSense XTD-0500-J signal conditioners, but I feel like I am still missing something.....I understand how to connect the TC's to the signal conditioners, but where/how do I connect the signal conditioners to the plc analog module? I don't see any extra terminals that would be labeled as output. Pins 4 & 6 are for the TC, so what am I missing??? Thanks

Still not getting it!!!! My apologies for my slowness and understanding all of this. Here is what I have done so far: Connected TC to pins 4 and 6, connected a a type J TC wire from the +/- terminals on the bottom side of the signal conditioner to the analog input module on my plc.

After making these connections the LED is not on, to me it would seem I would need to connect 24VDC to those +/- terminals to supply power to the unit, but then I have no other choices for connecting this signal conditioner to my analog input module on the plc.

Is this even the correct application? I thought that the whole purpose of these signal conditioners was to take my TC data and then pass it along to the plc, where once I receive this data I would then scale that data so i would display actual temperature. Thanks

You will notice in the diagram that rQx provided, that RL (4-20 mA) is the PLC input. The 24VDC supply is also shown and will have to be connected.

Regards,

Connect +24vdc to the "+" on the converter, then the signal is coming from "-" on the converter. Connect this to the analog input on your PLC, also connect the -24VDC to the reference on the PLC analog input reference. The + and - terminals is acting as a regular 2 wire 4-20mA sensor if I'm not misstaken