HMI as OPC UA Client

harryting

Lifetime Supporting Member
First, I have no affiliation with the product, just interested in the industry direction regarding OPC UA. It's been talked about a lot but I see few actual products yet but now Softing just release their Contrologix OPC UA Gateway.

https://industrial.softing.com/en/p...nnect-controllogix-plc-to-opc-ua-clients.html

This seems cool

"Automatically enumerates PLC tags/structures for the local chassis"

but without actually playing I always wonder how easy it is.

Is there any HMI out there right now that support OPC UA?

"Automatically enumerates PLC tags/structures for the local chassis"

but without actually playing I always wonder how easy it is.

Is there any HMI out there right now that support OPC UA?

I went to the their TechEd session, but ran out of time to talk specifics of this module. I'm curious of the cost, and if you could put this in a ControlLogix chassis and server up other controllers on the network, or if you'd need additional hardware in each logix rack. Doesn't seem like it would be cost effective versus Kepware. Chassis based has the advantage of not requiring a computer like Kepware.

Ignition uses OPC-UA, so in theory it should easily connect to this module.

.. Doesn't seem like it would be cost effective versus Kepware. Chassis based has the advantage of not requiring a computer like Kepware.

Ignition uses OPC-UA, so in theory it should easily connect to this module.
Good to know Ignition is an option. Hopefully other major vendors follow suit.

We have some application that requires comm between Logix and wide area SCADA. Current method is tricky and unreliable so I'm constantly looking for alternative. I think once OPC UA get more widely implemented it will make my life much easier.