PV550 CF card

ThomasGruetter

Lifetime Supporting Member
Customer reports that they tried to save an application onto a CF card to transfer it to a spare PV550.
The existing PV is 2711-K5A2X. I gave them a CF card (tested) with a demo program on it that we used to test the spare PV.
They powered down their PV and inserted the card then powered up. I was told that the PV automatically loaded the demo program.
Questions:
Is that possible (normal)?
Is the application program lost?
Please comment - I don't have a unit here to test this. I think that it would not
load just any program off the CF card automatically ?

The PanelView Standard terminals could not run applications from the Flash card, nor transfer them automatically. You had to access the configuration mode, then perform a Save to Card or a Restore From Card function.

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44991/page/2

If the "sample application" is running on the terminal, the only logical explanation is that somebody used the Configuration menus to do a Restore From Card operation.

I expect that somebody mis-keyed "Restore From" instead of "Save To".

You can configure a PV+ to run from the expansion card, or to script the loading of specific files when a card is inserted. But those were functions requested while the PV+ was being developed; they didn't exist on the PV Standard.

If a PV Standard has a corrupted application or no application (like after a firmware load) it will go to the Configuration mode and require you to do a download or restore. It will not automatically load from a removable memory flash card.

I'm fairly confident about this answer; I deployed many dozens of PV Standard terminals and I think I would remember such a feature if it existed.

Thanks Ken,
Your anser confirms my thoughts - likely the wrong button was pressed.
I really appreciate your feedback and help to many of us AB users.