RSLogix & Studio 5000

shazad5444

Lifetime Supporting Member
Friends, In PLC downloaded program is in RSLOGIX REV 20.3, I don't have this REV right now,Right now i have only Rockwell Studio 5000 Rev 28, Please let me know can I communicate with Rev 20.3 by Studio 5000? I opened one RS Logix 20.3 file in my studio 5000 and it changed the controller, I know that Studio 5000 is not supporting all Rockwell Controllers. What is the advantage of Studio 5000.

In PLC ... program is in RSLOGIX REV 20.3, I don't have this REV right now,Right now i have only Rockwell Studio 5000 Rev 28, Please let me know can I communicate with Rev 20.3 by Studio 5000?
No, you need to match the version of your RSLogix/Studio to the firmware installed in the controller.

I opened one RS Logix 20.3 file in my studio 5000 and it changed the controller
That's normal. If you try to open an older application with a newer RSLogix/Studio 5000, the software will ask you if you want to upgrade the application.

What is the advantage of Studio 5000.
If you want to work with firmware 21 or superior, you'll need Studio 5000. Basically, Studio 5000 is the same as RSLogix 5000. Under the hood you will find improvements of the EDS management, new functions, ready for newer OS, etc. If you want to know the details, start reading the RA technotes. There're many posts here discussing about the topic. Here you have a good example:

showthread.php?t=99109

Last edited:
Just to clarify, RSLogix 5000 and Studio 5000 are the same thing. Rockwell renamed RSLogix 5000 when version 21 was introduced.

So anything version 20 or older will use RSLogix 5000 and anything version 21 or newer will use Studio 5000. You have version 28 and need version 20. Once you download and install version 20 then you will have both RSLogix 5000 and Studio 5000.

When you connect to a controller online, or when you open a project offline, the system will examine the controller version and switch to the correct software type and version.

In the future if you were to connect to a version 18 controller you would not be able to communicate with that controller either since you don't have version 18. But again, you could download and install version 18. And then do the same for version 24 and so on. Your computer would then support multiple versions of controller projects and would automatically switch between them as needed.

OG

If you bought Ver 28 within the last year, or you have a TechConnect contract then go to the Rockwell website, click Support, Click Download By Serial Number.

Enter the registered purchasers name and the serial number and you will be able to download all previous versions, and future versions while you are still current.

It is a good idea to take a couple of days and download all versions if you work in the field and could come across other CL PLC's

No, you need to match the version of your RSLogix/Studio to the firmware installed in the controller.

That's normal. If you try to open an older application with a newer RSLogix/Studio 5000, the software will ask you if you want to upgrade the application.

If you want to work with firmware 21 or superior, you'll need Studio 5000. Basically, Studio 5000 is the same as RSLogix 5000. Under the hood you will find improvements of the EDS management, new functions, ready for newer OS, etc. If you want to know the details, start reading the RA technotes. There're many posts here discussing about the topic. Here you have a good example:

showthread.php?t=99109

Hi nhatsen

This is very helpful. I have the same issue that it changed my controller after updating my firmware from V24 to 31. But it doesnt give me the option to upgrade it tells me to change the controller type

is this right ?

Hi nhatsen

This is very helpful. I have the same issue that it changed my controller after updating my firmware from V24 to 31. But it doesnt give me the option to upgrade it tells me to change the controller type

is this right ?

Yes, if you do not have version 24 installed.

If you can download v24 then when you open it RSLogix/Studio5000 will close the current version and open the correct version.