KepwareEx + PLC + Third Party Software with OPC Server

plctek

Hi All,

I had a question regarding Kepware. I was able to pull in data from my PLC tags along with the tags coming from the third party OPC software into my KepwareEx 6 Configuration Application. How does it work if I want my ControlLogix PLC to talk to the third party software OPC. For example if something changes on the software, the PLC will change the tag on its controller.

If that makes sense. Thanks for your help?

Hi. I do not understand very well your question. The tags in the ControlLogix can only be modified with the LogixStudio program. The third party OPC server, which is a Logix client, needs to have its address space configured. Normally the configuration tool of the OPC server can browse the tags in the PLC.

Last edited:
your question is a little unclear, the way I read it you have some opc clompliant software on a PC, a PLC both talking to kepware ?. The only way for the PC to talk to the PLC is to read/write the tags configured in the Kepware in other words kepware is the server, your other OPC compliant PC software reads or writes the data from/to kepware then that reads/writes to the PLC, as far as I know kepware has no facility to re-map tags from or to other clients.
for example: a PLC tag configured in kepware to read/write to & from the PLC is called Channel1.Device1.My_Tag then the other PC would have to read & write to this tag.
Just like any scada using kepware as the driver.

You are wanting to change the value of the tags using OPC communications? Not change the tags themselves correct? If this is the case it's very easy to do.

If, for example we are using Excel as the in-between, you would copy the value of the source tag into a destination cell (Using DDE or OPC if you want to pay for the Linx license if you're going to be using Linx), then that cell would be copied into another cell that delivers the data into the destination tag of the receiving PLC using DDE, or once again, OPC if you are wanting to use Linx.

I usually build these systems out using Excel, then I'll create an application on SQL or Python that does the same thing so I don't have to rely on a spreadsheet for the machinery to work.