PID Trainer, issue on setup

• A plastic ball on plastic channel isn't great, but it's better than cloth
  • A more obtuse angle in the channel might help as well,
    • or maybe use a piece of PVC pipe as the channel, so there is only one point of contact with a lower loading

agree

[*]Hollow ball acceleration coefficient is 5/3
[*]Solid ball acceleration coefficient is 7/5
[/LIST]

can't you explain?

Hey, let's make it interesting: fill the ping pong ball with water; now Navier and Stokes are involved ;)!

You are fond of perverse, I see. )))
I'm in

Another way to eliminate linkage deadband would be to put the fulcrum at one end instead of in the middle,

This should solve the problem of the rod playing, but will make the PID trainer less scientific-like and, as a result, less attractive to potential buyers

Hollow ball acceleration coefficient is 5/3 ... Solid ball acceleration coefficient is 7/5
can['t?] you explain?

Are you asking me to show the derivation?

This should solve the problem of the rod playing, but will make the PID trainer less scientific-like and, as a result, less attractive to potential buyers

Fair point.

11b3bbbf-3d83-435b-b564-a2715b1434f0.c5b9bd925f7e88676d03179919c33b79.jpeg

Maybe we could think about this another way: sell it with the slop (backlash) built-in to the linkage, but also with the rubber band.

Teaching either how to tune a PID* or how to think about the mechanics is valuable; teaching how to integrate, and see the interaction between, both of those is far more valuable.

We can't count the number of times @Peter Nachtwey has been shaking his head in this forum, where designers blithely wrote (PID) on the P&ID without thinking about the process, leaving some poor schlub to commission it and they post in this forum for help.

* yes, I know we are tuning the system, but PID makes sense there for the point I am making.

I think what you guys are trying to get at is the inertia for a hollow sphere like a table tennis ball is greater than that of a solid sphere with the same mass.
hollow sphere inertia = (2/3)*m*r^2
solid sphere inertia = (2/5)*m*r^2
This is why a table tennis ball works better than a solid steel ball.
The mass cancels out but the ratio fractions don't.

drbitboy's toy has a lot of inertia because of the mass is distributed away from the center of rotation.
However, I don't know where those acceleration numbers come from. I would need to revisit my Mathcad worksheet.

I don't know where those acceleration numbers come from.

The external force vector on the ball is its weight, mg (product of mass of the ball, m, and the gravitational acceleration constant, g), downward.

Any force normal to the beam is held by the beam and does not contribute to acceleration along (parallel to) the beam.

If the beam is level, then all of the force is normal to the beam and the ball does not accelerate along the beam.

If the beam is off level by some angle θ, then the force along the beam is the Weight scaled by sin(θ), so m g sin(θ).

That force is applied as two forces: i) a force that causes translational acceleration FLinear = m aLinear; ii) a rotational force i.e. torque that causes angular acceleration because we assume the ball's surface does not slip on the beam FRotational r = Torque = α Inertia = aLinear Inertia / r, where α is angular acceleration and r is the radius of the ball.

Since the forces must balance,
m g sin(θ) = FLinear + FRotational = m aLinear + aLinear Inertia / r2

Inertia, as @Peter Nachtwey notes, is k m r2[/sup], where k is 2/3 or 2/5 for a spherical shell or solid sphere, respectively, so
m g sin(θ) = m aLinear + aLinear k m r2 / r2
or
g sin(θ) = aLinear + aLinear k = aLinear (1 + k)
so
aLinear = g sin(θ) / (1 + k)
getting close now:
aLinear = g sin(θ) / (1 + 2/3) = 3 g sin(θ) / 5 for spherical shells (ping pong balls)
and
aLinear = g sin(θ) / (1 + 2/5) = 5 g sin(θ) / 7 for solid balls
Finally, θ is small, so sin(θ)θ (θ in radians), and g ≈ 9.8 (SI), so
aLinear ≈ 5.9 θ, shell
and
aLinear ≈ 7 θ, solid
P.S I am ignoring the radial acceleration along the beam due to the angular velocity of the beam, ω, at the distance of the ball from the fulcrum, d:
d ω2
I am also ignoring the buoyancy force on the ping pong ball, which is about 1.5%, so somewhere between negligible and meh.

Last edited:
Are you asking me to show the derivation?

Yep. Or I it is my poor English I misunderstand “acceleration coefficient” or something wrong with my math – I don’t get your numbers

The picture seems to be something useless but funny (although fun is one of the few things that are really valuable in life)

Teaching either how to tune a PID

If you're talking about geniusintraining's PID trainers, I guess they can't teach someone how to tune a PID controller, they can only "teach" a person to be sure that he can tune a PID controller (please understand correctly, I don't invest negative connotations in relation to geniusintraining - he is not the first and not the last who makes money from human stupidity, to a certain extent, and I even envy his quick wits)

Yep. Or I it is my poor English I misunderstand “acceleration icient” or something wrong with my math – I don’t get your numbers

Ha ha your English is so much better than my Czech, but the English idiom is "can you [please] explain?"

Anyway, the coefficients are the 1/(1+k) ratios Post #52.

And I had them inverted earlier (Post # 38).

getting close now:
[/COLOR]
aLinear = g sin(θ) / (1 + 2/3) = 3 g sin(θ) / 5 for spherical shells (ping pong balls)
and
aLinear = g sin(θ) / (1 + 2/5) = 5 g sin(θ) / 7 for solid balls

I get it now.

For geniusintraining's plastic channel (90deg)

aLinear = 3 g sin(θ) / (3+2*2^0,5) for spherical shells (ping pong balls)
aLinear = 5 g sin(θ) / (5+2*2^0,5) for solid balls

but the English idiom is "can you [please] explain?"
Thanks

Ha ha your English is so much better than my Czech
I already know what this idiom means :-///​

Last edited:
I get the same number as drbitboy, 5.887 for a hollow sphere if I combine all the numbers so 5.887 is just multiplied by the tilt in radians.
Also, since this is two pole system I calculate the Kp and Kd values for the tilt as Kp=6.709 rad/m and Kd = 2.136 rad/(m/s). This places two poles at -2*PI. I could calculate the an integrator gain too but that adds another pole to the closed loop transfer function. I didn't assume any friction. That would decrease the Kd value a bit. Since my simulator doesn't have any noise, I can increase the response but I think in reality that noise will limit to how high the gains can go.

Are we done yet?

I get the same number as drbitboy, 5.887 for a hollow sphere if I combine all the numbers so 5.887 is just multiplied by the tilt in radians.
Also, since this is two pole system I calculate the Kp and Kd values for the tilt as Kp=6.709 rad/m and Kd = 2.136 rad/(m/s). This places two poles at -2*PI. I could calculate the an integrator gain too but that adds another pole to the closed loop transfer function. I didn't assume any friction. That would decrease the Kd value a bit. Since my simulator doesn't have any noise, I can increase the response but I think in reality that noise will limit to how high the gains can go.

Are we done yet?

We haven't even started yet.

The amount of information we know about the PID trainer = 0
If geniusintraining provides data, it becomes possible to do something.

5.887 is a factor for a flat surface and not for a 90 degree gutter, but it's not really significant.
But for the system to remain stable at Kp = 6.709 and Kd = 2.136, the rate of change of the ramp angle should be at least 0.5 rad / sec - I have vague doubts that the geniusintraining's PID-trainer provides such speed