IGS stops reading booleans after firmware upgrade

NotaBitofit

Hi. I'm trying to update the firmware on some ControlLogix's. They're being polled by an IGS driver. After the upgrade, my floats and integers are still showing up correctly but the boolean values all come back as zeroes.

If I change the address of an existing IGS tag (or create a new one), it works fine. But I don't want to go through and manually wake them all up that way.

Other troubleshooting steps that were ineffective include: re-initialize, disconnect/connect, re-install, duplicate device and save over...

Has anyone encountered this before, or understand what might be going on?

In the mid 2000's we had a system & ifix, this would do the something similar, I tried without success to get it going again, however, a local systems house came in & sorted it, unfortunately, I do not know the details but it seemed to be something to do with the setup, as far as I remember, they would re-configure it (not change the tag data, just set up the link) & it would communicate ok, there did not seem to be any relevant information regarding the error. This happened a couple of times, we then replaced it with Kepware.

Maybe, it was some years ago, the same happened on another S7 system, using IGS however not very often perhaps twice a year could have been updates causing the problem our IT dept rarely talked to us apart from a global e-mail "leave your pc on tonight, we are doing some work" , this was upgraded to I think either the S7A or Simatic Net driver on recomendation & it removed the problem.

I figured it out.

In [Channel Properties >> Logix Options >> Protocol Mode] it was set to "Logical Blocking".

Symbolic mode uses your ASCII tag name. Either Logical mode starts off asking for data according to its symbolic address, but then saves the 'real' address and uses that in the future. When you change the firmware, those 'real' addresses can change.

Solutions would include:

Setting [Channel Properties >> Logix Options >> Protocol Mode] to "Symbolic"

Setting [Channel Properties >> Logix Options >> Synchronize After Online Edits] to "Yes" and then doing an online edit. (This is what I did.)

Last edited: