Failed to go online with the controller. Controller Type is not supported

plctek

Does anyone ever get this error? I am using factory talk echo as the emulator, and I've tried to online with it, and I keep getting the error:

"Failed to go online with the controller. Controller type is not supported".

If so, how does one fix that? Another issue is the following, all of my options are sometimes grayed out like this, even though my echo emulator is active, and I have no idea why:

You went too far down the tree. The controller is two lines above (where the IP address is). You've gone through the controller to the backplane and then to the controller again. That is a communication loop.

OG

Good catch. Too bad it is allowed.

This used to get people all the time in my classes with the serial connection. They would go through the serial port to the backplane and then to the controller in the backplane. I think in that case the online/upoad/download would be grayed out like we see in the picture above. But I seem to remember one similar type connection were it would actually let you click one of those buttons and only then would it error out with some non-helpful error message.

OG

You went too far down the tree. The controller is two lines above (where the IP address is). You've gone through the controller to the backplane and then to the controller again. That is a communication loop.

OG

Yeah, I tried clicking the controller on top of the tree, but the same issue arised. Doesnt' make any sense why this should happen especially with an emulated controller

OK so just to satisfy my curiosity, I installed Echo v2.0 and created a v35 controller. Then I created a new v34 application for an L83. I wanted to see if I got the same message you did if I created a version incompatibility.

So of course it told me I had a version mismatch, but then gave me an option to launch a compatible controller. A couple seconds later I was being prompted to download into the correct version of the controller. I can't even tell you how many times I've created a controller in Emulate and forgotten to set it to the correct version. Then later discovering my error and having to delete it and re-add it with the correct version. So this is a nice change.

But anyway, I tried downloading to the controller under the Ethernet driver and it worked. Then I tried drilling down to the virtual backplane and downloading to the controller there. Success again. So nix my previous comments about selecting the controller. Apparently with Logix Echo it is smart enough to see they are the same device.

But, I could not see the error plctek mentioned. If I know the versions of software you are using, I can try again and see if I can replicate the error.

OG

** EDIT ** I just read a Tech Note on the RA site and it states your Logix application must be at least version 33. If it is older, you get that message.

Last edited:
OK so just to satisfy my curiosity, I installed Echo v2.0 and created a v35 controller. Then I created a new v34 application for an L83. I wanted to see if I got the same message you did if I created a version incompatibility.

So of course it told me I had a version mismatch, but then gave me an option to launch a compatible controller. A couple seconds later I was being prompted to download into the correct version of the controller. I can't even tell you how many times I've created a controller in Emulate and forgotten to set it to the correct version. Then later discovering my error and having to delete it and re-add it with the correct version. So this is a nice change.

But anyway, I tried downloading to the controller under the Ethernet driver and it worked. Then I tried drilling down to the virtual backplane and downloading to the controller there. Success again. So nix my previous comments about selecting the controller. Apparently with Logix Echo it is smart enough to see they are the same device.

But, I could not see the error plctek mentioned. If I know the versions of software you are using, I can try again and see if I can replicate the error.

OG

** EDIT ** I just read a Tech Note on the RA site and it states your Logix application must be at least version 33. If it is older, you get that message.

Studio 5000 was running 33.0.1 and Echo was 2.0, I am running both within a virtual machine.

Anyways I fixed it, ended up increasing the processor amount within the VM, which fixed the issue. Thanks for trying though!