1770 KFD showing Autobaud failed

advmin

I am new to plc and DeviceNet.In the 1749 devicenet scanner module datasheet, I read that I need a 1744 KFD to connect the DeviceNet scanner with the laptop. Using RSLINX I tried to configure the driver by selecting DeviceNet and then 1770 KFD. I selected the respective port and the node is 62 as default with a data rate of 125k. Pressed ok. After the window showed up with the error AUTOBAUD FAILED.

Module status in kfd is blinking green. RS232 and network status led are off.
The DeviceNet cable is connected with terminal resisters on both sides.
The cable used to connect with the laptop: 1747 cp3 USB
plc : micrologix 1500

thanks in advance
xjrh9JT

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

The 1770-KFD actually requires a specific serial cable that has internal jumpers. While the popular serial cables for connecting to other A-B devices (like the 1747-CP3 or 1756-CP3) will physically fit, they won't work correctly.

In practice, you can grab the 1770-KFD cable and use it to connect to an SLC's serial port, but not the other way around.

The part number isn't something catchy, it's just the cable that comes with the 1770-KFD. It is basically a null modem cable with RTS/CTS jumpered.

Code:
KFD End	                                PC End
1	                                4
2	                                3
3	                                2
4	                                1
5	                                5
6	                                1
7 (jumpered to pin 8 on this end)	7 (jumpered to pin 8 on this end)
8 (jumpered to pin 7 on this end)	8 (jumpered to pin 7 on this end)
9  Not Connected

DeviceNet can run at 125, 250, or 500 kb/s and generally when you are connecting a 1770-KFD to an operating network, it is safest to leave it set for "Autobaud" so that it detects the running data rate of the DeviceNet. If Autobaud fails, you can set the driver for a fixed data rate, or you should diagnose the network to see if there's any traffic on it at all.

Don't confuse DeviceNet's autobaud detection on the CAN-bus side with the
"Auto Detect" function when you're setting up a point-to-point DF1 protocol connection to and SLC/PLC/MicroLogix.

Thanks, Ken for the reply. Can you please suggest to me a cable that will work fine with the KFD it will be so much better if one end is usb.
or else, I will try to make the cable my own using the pin out you provided.

cheers!!!