Can Wonderware function as OPC Server?

harryting

Lifetime Supporting Member
Pretty basic question but I haven't touched WW in many decades. The background is there are some AB PLC data I like to sent to OSI PI Historian. PI, like many other stuff out there, are converging on supporting OPC DA or UA only. Sure, I can go buy another OPC Server but if the existing WW installation always can do this I rather not spend the money.

Yes! Definitely OPC DA, not sure about UA as haven't had to do this in a few years.

You can add an OPC object in SMC which functions similar to your normal I/O server, except you point it at your Intouch project and can then browse the tags.

Pretty sure it's covered in the Wonderware documentation but I'll look as well

Yes, you can use OI Gateway (formerly FSGateway) as an OPC DA server, which can then communicate to InTouch applications, ArchestrA Galaxy, etc. OI Gateway does not require a license if used in conjunction with other AVEVA (Wonderware) software.

There is also OI ABCIP (Logix PLCs, SLC505) or ABTCP (SLC50x, PLC5) which can act as an OPC DA server if you want to communicate directly without going through the HMI app. This will require a Communication Drivers or OI Server license.

Last edited: