GE PLC using Proficy to control Robot

marcnadeau

My son has a college project that he was assigned to write a program using Proficy and a GE PLC to control a 3 axis robot. Anyone have any sample code? Thanks

"3 axis robot" doesn't tell me enough about what the robot is supposed to do or how it goes about doing it. I could give you sample code for a three axis pick and place mechanism that uses pneumatic actuators, but if your son is supposed to write code for a robot that uses electric motors to move, my sample wouldn't do him much good.
He should spend his time writing a functional spec for his device instead of asking you to shop for someone to do his homework for him.

The Robot uses 3 B series servo motors in which i'm writing my programming to a series 90-30 GE plc. I'm trying to make a program with proficy that simulates picking and placing a object. Some issues I have ran into are understanding certain programming instructions such as GE DINT, LE DINT, and RANGE DINT and how you use them in ladder logic

The GT_DINT instruction is a "Greater Than" function using a DINT data type. DINT is a 32-bit signed integer. The GT_INT instruction is a "Greater Than" function using an INT data type. INT is a 16-bit signed integer.

In a 90-30 the key thing to remember about the DINT data type is that is uses two consecutive %R addresses. A DINT variable addressed at %R101 actually uses memory addresses %R101 and %R102, so you need to be careful that nothing in ladder logic uses %R102.

This will work OK

_________
| GT_DINT |
| |
%R0101 | |
| |
| |
%R0103 | |
|________ |

This will give you problems

_________
| GT_DINT |
| |
%R0101 | |
| |
| |
%R0102 | |
|________ |

good point by steve as usual. Also other instructions such as timers, and counters also take up more than a word of memory i think if my memory serves me right timers and counters take up 3 words. So be aware you don't overlap one's set of memory to another.