food grade vibration sensor

lesmar96

Lifetime Supporting Member
Vibration sensor that is food-grade rated. Customer is looking to monitor the vibration on their submersible pumps.

These pumps are at fresh water springs. All the water goes for drinking water so everything is SS and food grade. The pump in the bottom of the holding tank is completely SS.

We are looking for a way to monitor the vibration of this pump to detect bearing failure.

Does any one here have experience or a recommendation on a good food-grade vibration sensor? It cannot be wireless because then it would have batteries and batteries are not allowed because they could leak acid.

We can work with various sorts of outputs from the vibration sensor.

Great question and, quite frankly, I have no history of vibration sensors in such an environment. Other alternatives? What about monitoring current draw? Failing bearings would force the pump to work harder and therefore draw more current. A flow meter might catch the surging of a pump fighting against a failing bearing. What about the motor manufacturer? Do they make a unit with integrated accelerometers?

Whatever you find for a solution, please post it. I love a mystery!

Great question and, quite frankly, I have no history of vibration sensors in such an environment. Other alternatives? What about monitoring current draw? Failing bearings would force the pump to work harder and therefore draw more current. A flow meter might catch the surging of a pump fighting against a failing bearing. What about the motor manufacturer? Do they make a unit with integrated accelerometers?

Whatever you find for a solution, please post it. I love a mystery!

We have briefly discussed those other alternatives, such as monitoring current draw. We decided to pursue the vibration sensor first since that would be most accurate. If there is no good hardware to do this, I am definitely open to good suggestions on alternative methods.

I am unsure whether the motor manufacturer offers this or not. We will definitely keep that in mind. Thanks!

IFM VTV series sensors are IP68 though they are European so may not be ideal.

I prefer ultrasonic sensors though which may be something to consider, you normally need half the amount of sensors when compared to vibration? UE would probably do something submersible?

Banner has QM30VT sensors in stainless. I haven’t used the QM30 yet. They are a replacement for QM42VT series. Banner markets them for wireless but I used the VT2 models wired ModBus RTU.

Thanks Jesper

I had done some searching but hadn't landed on those options yet. It looks like we have several vendors to check out. Thanks.