Troubleshooting SICK safety systems

instruward

I'm an in-house maintenance tech, and have little experience with SICK safety systems. We are going through an expansion and we have a lot of equipment with these safety PLCs now. Beyond anything obvious where a sensor is physically damaged or dirty, is there an efficient way to troubleshoot these? It's not clear how these are programmed inside, which inputs are actually needed to get the desired outputs on.

If we get the right software/cables can we view the program, or do these systems typically come password protected? We have equipment coming from several different countries in Europe, and it's been quite a learning curve for everyone.

I'm an in-house maintenance tech, and have little experience with SICK safety systems. We are going through an expansion and we have a lot of equipment with these safety PLCs now. Beyond anything obvious where a sensor is physically damaged or dirty, is there an efficient way to troubleshoot these? It's not clear how these are programmed inside, which inputs are actually needed to get the desired outputs on.

If we get the right software/cables can we view the program, or do these systems typically come password protected? We have equipment coming from several different countries in Europe, and it's been quite a learning curve for everyone.

The manuals and software are available for download on their website with no charge. If you need help with something specific tell us the part number and the issue you are having.

Password protected or not depends on the company policies of thsoe who programmed it. Most will lock it for safety reasons. So you can't go messing up the safety system and bypassing it in program. You'd have to jump the safety contacts before the SICK. Still a bad idea but it is more... temporary supposing you follow any sort of sensible rules. Its temp, its safety Fix it Immediatly.

Which system are you talking about? Is it a Flexisoft? If so, the Flexisoft has a number of different LED states that indicate different faults. The best examples I can give are things like "Partially Operated" inputs, "Short Detection", and "Cross Channel".

We use these products regularly, and they are actually quite a good. Flexisoft Designer is free from the SICK website, and the cable will cost ~$100. If there is an ethernet gateway on the system, you can just connect to it over the network.