Pass Through with PanelView and Micro820?

m0t

I am new to Rockwell stuff, have more experience with IDEC.
I was handed a half completed project using a Micro820 and a Panelview 2711-T2T. There is an RJ45 cable connecting the 820 to the HMI panel.
I want to know is there a way to connect to the panel and "pass-through" to program the PLC? With Idec we did it like that. I would have to use the one of the serial connections on the HMI to connect to the PC? How to set that up? Thanks.
Or pass thru the other way, from the 820 to the Panel? Or connect the panel to the 820 via serial?
Thanks.

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

Can you clarify that PanelView part number ? A small PanelView 800 would be a 2711R-T4T.

Both the Micro 820 and the PanelView 800's use an RJ45 connector for Ethernet, so your system designer probably decided to over-simplify and connect them point-to-point, to save on the cost of an Ethernet switch and require you to connect a switch while commissioning, or to connect to each device individually.

I'm not aware of a port-to-port bridging or pass-through connection on either of those devices.

Thanks for your reply. Yes it is a 2711R-T4T. I think there is a way to connect the panel and the PLC serially and use the ethernet for download but they still would have to be programmed individually.

Yes, you can connect a PanelView 800 (DB9 serial port) to a Micro 800 (terminal block serial port) for runtime comms, but download to them separately over Ethernet.

The CIP protocol supports "bridging" between ports, but I don't think these low-end devices can do that he way the ControlLogix can.