File tracking / Time tracking

Holmux

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have been looking for a time / File tracking solution for a while now, and tested a bunch, but they have all failed to give me what I am looking for.

Especially now when working from home, it is a challenge keeping track of the hours I spend on each customer.

I was hoping someone on our list have the perfect solution :) please share how you tackle this.

Regards
/Holm

I have been looking for a time / File tracking solution for a while now, and tested a bunch, but they have all failed to give me what I am looking for.

Especially now when working from home, it is a challenge keeping track of the hours I spend on each customer.

I was hoping someone on our list have the perfect solution :) please share how you tackle this.

Regards
/Holm

no perfect solution.

Usually I tot things up at the end of the day in a spreadsheet; sometimes I add start and stop times in a cell (e.g. [0800-1130; 1230-1640] would mean 3.5+4.2 = 7.7h that day) if I am going to be jumping around. This works well because my invoices are also spreadsheets submitted weekly, and I can copy-paste cells from my long-term sheet into the invoice; I usually delete the times.

I used to have a text file with .LOG as the first line, and opening it with Notepad would automagically add a timestamp at the bottom of the file and allow me to add a summary of what that time meant (start job X; stop job X, start Y; etc.).

The perfect solution? No such thing, because everyone's idea of perfection differs.

Personally I track with Ignition Scada. Time, parts, jobs, files, documentation, etc.

I'm sure you could write your own on a platform you are comfortable with.

The perfect solution? No such thing, because everyone's idea of perfection differs.

You are probably right :)

I have a feeling I will have to put something together my self, maybe start digging around in the windows log and see what data I can get out and change it into something useful.

I use a notepad and pen, then tot up at the end of the day and put on the time sheet.

Can't think of a way to automate that, because if I have an .acd file open for say 5 hours, I may only do 3 hours work between breaks, lunch etc

I use a notepad and pen, then tot up at the end of the day and put on the time sheet.

Yep, I just logged 3 hours of double-time this morning. Goes on final weeks worksheets and invoice at the end of week.

I shoot an email every day, then accumulate the weeks total on the following Saturday and send an invoice.

Works well, and I can usually pick up a check the next business day.

Visit timecamp. It gets your job done. You can start the timer when you are connected to your customer and stop when you are done

There was a software out there called version control you install it on a server
and use it to store your files users check the out and back in as they use them the program keep track of all the files
I tried it some time ago it seamed to work well enough but with just me I didn't see the need for it and at the time I didn't have a server

for you time outlook has a journal function that will help tracking time and documents
I don't know if that will work for you

you may have to write you own time I fine keeping it on my phone is a plus I try to always have it with me.