Proportional valve PWM frequency

somlioy

Hello. I have a proportional valve with two solenoids which is going to be controlled. The datasheet for the valve (attached) specifies a PWM frequency of 100-400Hz, while the PLC module for proportional valves (Wago 750-632) has a fixed PWM frequency of 50kHz. Dither frequency changeable from 1Hz to 250Hz, amplitude also changeable ...

Does anyone have experience driving proportional valve solenoids with such high PWM frequency?

There is a difference between the dither frequency and the frequency that the valve amplifier uses for PWM. The PWM frequency should be very high. If the motion controller changes output every millisecond then the amplifier has 50 time periods within that millisecond to control the percentage of the time the signal is on.

Yes I am aware of the difference of dither frequency and valve amplifier frequency and the concept of PWM, but as you can see in the datasheet of the valve solenoids it specifies "100-400Hz PWM Control signals".

The is not a normal proportional valve. It is slow.
The question I have is what is their definition of 100-400 Hz PWM? Is that the clock frequency? In other words, a PWM with a clock frequency of 50000 can have 100 Hz cycles but each cycle is divided up into 500 time increments. I don't see how one can get any resolution at all of the frequency is only 100 Hz. It might work but the resolution and update rate will be very poor.