You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

Old October 3rd, 2018, 04:44 PM   #1
qingrou
United States

Msg instruction, cannot find target PLC

Hello,

confusion on the msg instruction configuration. We cannot find the target PLC-s in the communication path setup; however, we have made sure all the PlC-s are connected using rslinx classic and we can ping their ip address in the command line. Any advice on how to resolve this confusion would be greatly appreciated.

Software: Studio 5000 Logix Designer v31
PLC: Logix 5581E (2), Logix 5571, and EN2T
Old October 3rd, 2018, 04:58 PM   #2
KuulKuum
United States

Maybe this Logix 5000 Controllers Messages programming manual will help...

https://literature.rockwellautomatio...m012_-en-p.pdf
Old October 3rd, 2018, 05:42 PM   #3
Ken Roach
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

If the other controllers are not exchanging Produced/Consumed Tag Data with your ControlLogix, then there is no reason for them to be in the I/O tree.

While having a target device in the I/O tree is convenient, it is not necessary. You can instead compose a CIP path manually.

The User Manual is fairly straightforward explaining how CIP Paths are composed of comma-separated pairs of values for the Port and the Address of each "hop".

You have the new and nifty 5580 series controller, for which the CIP paths can be a little different than the old ones. You don't need the "1, x" to get to the Ethernet module at he beginning of the CIP Path.

Describe which controller holds the MSG instruction, and the IP addresses and slot numbers of each controller, and folks may be able to advise in detail.
Old October 4th, 2018, 01:47 PM   #4
Taelryn
United States

I had an issue with this related to a PIO slice I needed to send an explicit message to.

While I could see it in the tree, it would not allow a selection.

I had to give the PIO slice an actual name instead of leaving it blank. Not sure why it mattered in Studio 5000, but it did.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum