Reactive power compensation

joaco1993

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all,

I have some doubts regarding the sizing of the protection and cables for a reactive compensation.

The reactive I have to compense is 100Kvar, for which im planning to put 4 capacitors of 25kvar each.

For each capacitor i will put special contactor por capacitors rated for 25kvar and a thermomagnetic circuit breaker of (25000/(400*1.73))*1.5=54A

As I have read in many articles, the breaker should be sized 1.5 the nominal current of the capacitor. The cable will be of 6mm2.

all 4 circuit breakers of the capacitors will be feed of a breaker sized (54*4)=216A and will use a infeed cable of 50mm2. The main circuit breaker is it necesary to be sized *1.5 of all nominal current ??

Is all this correct ?? make sense ??

Thanks!