Clearing Out a String Tag

recondaddy

Is there an instruction in RSLogix5000 for clearing out a string tag? I've tried COP with a zero as the source and the string tag as the destination with a length of 1. I get
"COP, Operand 0: Invalid kind (tag, literal, or expression) of operand."

I've also tried MOV with a zero as the source and the string tag as the destination. With that, I get
"MOV, Operand 1: Invalid type."

I can't really use DEL because I never know the exact number of characters that the string will contain.

Anyone have any guidance?

Yep. I figured it out. Didn't realize that you needed to write a zero to the .DATA[0] element of the string tag:

MOV
Source: 0
Dest: MyString[1].DATA[0]

Or, I guess a CLR would work just as well. Thanks for your help.

recondaddy said:
I've also tried MOV with a zero as the source and the string tag as the destination. With that, I get

The error message is telling you exactly what you're doing wrong, that is, trying to move a numeric value into a string. If you'd use a null string (string = "") as operand 1, I bet it would work.

CLR or MOV will only clear one character. To clear all characters from the string use FLL.

FLL,0,string_tag.data[0],x

where x is the length of the string.

The error message is telling you exactly what you're doing wrong, that is, trying to move a numeric value into a string. If you'd use a null string (string = "") as operand 1, I bet it would work.
How does one get a null string when there are no String Literals? Just a string that was never assigned anything

P.S. AB Sucks, Long Live IEC61113-3
P.P.S. I have to us AB :cry:I hate it so much. :cry:

P.P.P.S. I was in High School when this thread was started...

FLL,0,string_tag.data[0],x

where x is the length of the string.

Adding to that you can use FLL with 0 as the source, the STRING as the destination, and 1 as the length. It will fill the LEN and every SINT with 0 and blow the whole lot away.

How does one get a null string when there are no String Literals? Just a string that was never assigned anything
You make one. If you NEED a blank string, create gsBlank as a STRING, leave it empty, and then make it a constant.

Last edited:
Adding to that you can use FLL with 0 as the source, the STRING as the destination, and 1 as the length.

:facepalm:

All this time (literally decades) I've been doing it the "hard" way by addressing both the LEN and DATA.

I think we might be seeing more zombie threads this week than usual. But hey, never too old to learn.

All this time (literally decades) I've been doing it the "hard" way by addressing both the LEN and DATA.

I have been working on so many serialisation projects over the last few years that doing things with strings that a PLC should never have to do has become commonplace :(

#Databases
#Industry4.0
#BigData

:mad:

Im with Bernie. I use a blank string and COP.,its probably not the most smallest use of memory but its easy and memory is cheap lately

So apparently at least in v30+ this is perfectly valid......

Which means RS 5000 does have string literals.......

Which mean all these other hacks are useless.

2020-03-18_17-15-42.png