You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

Old October 29th, 2015, 02:41 AM   #1
fish00cake
Australia

FTV Studio Custom Keyboard

Hi all,

Using FTV studio 8 on windows 7 touchscreen monitor. I want a large on-screen keyboard for touch screen typing logins and notes.
I would like the keyboard to be displayed and locked into a specific position. (100 px above the bottom of the screen).

Options I have considered:
1. Using default rockwell keyboards. Problem: keyboard is too small for gloved hand to type accurately.

2. Use built in Microsoft on-screen keyboard. Problem: windows key button poses a security issue and allows users too much access. Third party keyboard designer software may be an option. Any suggestions?

3. Build custom keyboard inside of FTV studio.
3.1: Use popup display and the standard rockwell built-in login functionality.
Problem: login box does not allow other displays to have focus, so we can't type in text via a separate display.

3.2: Use popup display and custom username/pw string input tags. A 'log me in' button will push these values into the "login [operator] [password]".
Problem: I can't pass the string data to the login function.

I am using code syntax: Login temp_username temp_pw
where temp_username and temp_pw are tags. Can someone check my syntax?

Also, is there a security issue with this method? Maybe bad practice as login/pw is stored as an unsecured tag somewhere...
Tried searching these forums, the closest I could get to is this unresolved thread:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=4645
Old October 29th, 2015, 06:51 AM   #2
rdrast
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Not much you can do.
Rockwell is "Promising" a "New Version", that "Should Have Enhanced keyboard functionality for Touch Screens" sometime in late 2016, or maybe 2017.

Your second best bet is to completely roll your own keyboard, as an OCX component. About 2 decades ago, someone at Rockwell realized that the numeric keypad was horrible, and did an OCX for that, but only numeric. Rockwell probably fired that person for actually creating something useful for the HMI software.

The first best bet (and one I wish I could do here) would be to completely toss out any Rockwell HMI 'Solution'.

Look First, Ask Second!

Old March 15th, 2018, 04:13 AM   #3
crawler009
Switzerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrast View Post
Not much you can do.
Rockwell is "Promising" a "New Version", that "Should Have Enhanced keyboard functionality for Touch Screens" sometime in late 2016, or maybe 2017.
Do you know if there is something new on this topic?
Even on Version 10 of FTV SE its the same old Keyboard, and we have 2018.
I'm still using "osk.exe" from Windows or the "TabTip.exe".

Edit: These ones looks good http://www.virtual-keyboard.com/Feat...keyboards.html
And only 15$. Does anyone have experience if they work well in FTV SE?

Last edited by crawler009; March 15th, 2018 at 04:43 AM.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum