ABB ACS480 with Profinet: All FBs required?

DairyBoy

This is my first project using an ABB/Siemens combination and already I'm getting bounced between the two companies' tech depts. Things are looking ok so far but I'd like to avoid hours of work and then find a fundamental error that requires a re-write, so any guidance would be appreciated.

Environment: New build, 19 x ACS480 VFDs (3kW to 11kW) each with FPNO-21 two-port PN interface module, Siemens S1513 CPU, TIA v13. Nothing completed or powered yet.

The network is configured in the project and doesn't show any errors or warnings. I downloaded the FBs/FCs/DBs from ABB. They are installed in the global library and one of each has been dragged/dropped into the project.

There are three FBs: "Drive control", "Drive para", "Drive PZD" (with their DBs) and two FCs: "Poke" and "Poke Blk".

Having looked into the FCs, I think that they belong in a periodic routine. The FBs look straightforward but I'd like to know if the use of all three FBs is mandatory to get started on just one VFD for testing if the parameters are input via the operator panel.

Thanks.

Looks like FB500 Drive control is the main block you need to send and receive control word etc
Start with it and make sure you can enable drive and send a speed reference
Then add Drive Control and Drive PZD.

Drive Para isn't necessary unless reading and writing drive parameters

Remember to use the HW_IO- not the IO address
for the ADR_In and ADR_Out

Last edited: