Time sync over PLC network

SpecialK87

I am looking for a way to synchronize time on our network. I am in the water/wastewater industry (still new to it) and have a SCADA system with 2 ControlLogixs, one monitoring about 20(water) MicroLogix and one monitoring 35(waste) MicroLogixs. Since reports are generated and historical data is kept I am looking for a way to sync the time to eliminate issues with DST or individual PLC clocks being off.

Can anyone explain a simple way to do this?

Rockwell has a Clock Sync tool and I "think" it's free.

ETA. Assuming you have RSLogix5000
ETAA. RSLogix5000 Tools > Logix5000 Clock Update Tool

Last edited:
+1 for the clock update tool. I use it at our factory as well. You can add any PLCs that you can see on Linx Classic, set how often you want to sync the clocks, and it just runs in the background.

I am looking for a way to synchronize time on our network. I am in the water/wastewater industry (still new to it) and have a SCADA system with 2 ControlLogixs, one monitoring about 20(water) MicroLogix and one monitoring 35(waste) MicroLogixs. Since reports are generated and historical data is kept I am looking for a way to sync the time to eliminate issues with DST or individual PLC clocks being off.

Can anyone explain a simple way to do this?

Looking at the posts above (i'm not a Rockwell guy by the way) you are still going to need a time source though otherwise what are you syncing to ?

Assuming everything you have can use NTP or SNTP to get a time signal then the most reliable way is to use a standalone NTP device in the network that uses GPS to get its time signal then everything is synced to one signal, a simple one like this:

https://www.meinbergglobal.com/english/products/rail-mount-ntp-server.htm

The Rockwell clock update tool runs on a PC, so it syncs all the PLC clocks to whatever the clock on the PC says. We just run it on one of our PCs that is syncing from the internet.

Thanks - I missed that, Does RA have a product to handle all, I have
Multiple Micrologix 1400's collecting data

The Clock Update tool worked great so far. It was really easy to configure. I've already finished creating schedules and syncing my processors.

AFAIK the clock update tool works on any logix500 or 5000 PLC that has ethernet comms. I've never had a problem updating any PLC clock that I could see in linx classic.