Slightly OT: Siemens Masterdrive OPS1 navigation and Fault Logs

Ken Roach

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
This is slightly OT but I hope some of our members who use Siemens AC variable frequency drives can help me out. I am trying to diagnose some communication problems between Siemens drives using a DeviceNet CBD interface board and an Emerson DeltaV controller.

The drives are Siemens SIMOVERT VC drives, specifically part number 6SE7221-3ES00-3AC0-Z and have the OPS1 keypad /LCD interface on the front of the cabinet. I do not have access to the SIMOVIS drives software.

I'm trying to understand the format of the parameter numbers and specifically the Fault Log.

The parameters of the drive seem to be hierarchical; a parameter number will appear as "r947.001" and will have several sub-parameters; r947.002, r947.003, r947.004, and so on. I've seen up to 64 of these sub-parameters.

In particular I'm trying to figure out the Fault Log. To navigate to it, I press:

[P] *Select Menu
[P] *Param Menu
[P] *Diagnostics
[P] *Fault/Warning
and then I use the up-arrow to get to Parameter P782 "Trip Time", for example, where there are multiple sub-entries.

p782.001 Trip Time T1-d 0
p782.002 Trip Time T1-h 0
p782.003 Trip Time T1-s 0
p782.004 Trip Time T2-d 13
p782.005 Trip Time T2-h 20
p782.006 Trip Time T2-s 3584
p782.007 Trip Time T3-d 13
p782.008 Trip Time T3-h 20
p782.009 Trip Time T3-s 3499
p782.010 Trip Time T4-d 13
p782.011 Trip Time T4-h 17
p782.012 Trip Time T4-s 615

So the first question is about the Trip Time. Is it the time since the trip until the present time ? Or is it the time since the drive was powered up until a Trip ? Or something else ?

The drive was presently faulted with a Safe Off trip Fault 017.

If any PLCTalk users who are familiar with these drives can give me some OPS1 navigation advice or point me towards a document that describes these parameters in detail (all I have is VC_BA_Einbau_AC_d_e.pdf) that would be very much appreciated.

Second question, about the Fault Log:

The fault log seems to have up to 8 sub-entries per Fault. What I wrote down for the Fault Log parameter r947 appears on the OPS1 LCD screen as follows:

r947.001 (through r947.008)
Fault Memory F000
Trip 1

r947.009
Fault Memory F025
Trip 2 UCE L1
r947.010
Fault Memory F026
Trip 2 UCE L2
r947.011
Fault Memory F026
Trip 2 UCE L3
r947.012 (through r947.016)
Fault Memory F000
Trip 2

I think this means that each Fault can have up to 8 Fault Codes associated with it, so that multiple faults that happen at the same time can be logged. Fault 2, for example, looks like an Under Voltage fault for all three incoming line phases. I'm going to look tomorrow to see if the "Safe Stop" feature has an input contactor that would explain the Input Phase Loss (I'm guessing that's what "UCE" is short for in German).

My third question is about the DeviceNet option board; has any forum user had experience with these? I am a DeviceNet expert have never used it with a Siemens drive.

Sometimes a nudge in what is known to be the right direction is the most valuable thing. Thank you; I have downloaded that document and will read up on it tonight.

For example, the explanation of Fault Time on Page 580 makes perfect sense once you know what it's supposed to mean, and the explanation of parameter r947 on page 784 makes lots of sense too.

Do you happen to know how to determine how the drive will respond to a network communication failure on the fieldbus (in this case, CBD DeviceNet board) interface ?

Do you happen to know how to determine how the drive will respond to a network communication failure on the fieldbus (in this case, CBD DeviceNet board) interface ?

Sorry Ken...can't help you there - we don't use any AB kit at all :)

We use mostly CBP (PROFIBUS) modules on Micromaster drives and IIRC when comms is lost we get a F0070 fault first up which is "CB setpoint fault"

Thank you; I'll bet the behavior with a Profibus CBP on a MicroMaster is very similar to the behavior with a DeviceNet CBD on a Masterdrive.

Actually, the only things about this system that are Allen-Bradley are the flat cable and me. It's an Emerson DeltaV scanner. I just happen to be a DeviceNet expert working on a nearby system, so they've recruited me to solve this DeltaV and Siemens problem.

Again, thanks for the advice.

Next related question: I am trying to access the parameters that configure the data to be exchanged across DeviceNet.

The User Manual for the CBD board says these are parameters P694.1 through P694.8.

When I try to view these parameters with the OPS1 terminal on the front of the drive, I get a "PNU Not Active" message and can't see those parameters.

I will go back and write down each keystroke; I think I was using a menu named something like "Direct Parameter".

Can anyone suggest how to navigate to view these parameters on a Siemens Masterdrive with an OPS1 terminal ?

These drives have the red 7-segment LED display with the small keypad with up/down/P keys inside the cabinet, while on the outside they have the bigger keypad LCD interface, which I think is called an OPS1.

The full part number of the drive is
6SE7231-2ES00-3AC0-Z. They were built into their cabinets by Siemens Canada, but appear to be ordinary Masterdrives.

I downloaded the drive managment software but have not found anyone with wire and solder and d-sub connectors to attempt to make a cable. Until then, I'm trying to use the LCD terminal to access these drive parameters.

Huh... I thought for sure I saw somebody post to ask if there was a small LED-equipped keypad. Maybe I'm hallucinating from the heat.

For kicks I'll ask another question if anyone is familiar with the German terminology: we're getting F025, F026 and F027 faults on these drives.

The user manual calls those "UCE L1", "UCE L2" and "UCE L3" faults. It implies they have something to do with ground faults.

But they don't explain the term "UCE". I imagine it is as plain as day to a German drive user and I'll feel foolish when it's posted.

So here's your chance to make me look foolish. What does "UCE" mean in this context ?

I believe Uce/Vce is the collector-emmiter voltage of the output IGBT's which are monitored for open circuits, shorts etc.

F025/26/27 are, as you say indicative of earth faults. I've experienced these faults being reported due to the capacitance of the motor power cable making it appear to be an earth fault. As you are also experiencing comms faults, may be a cable shield or earth has come off somewhere ?

That makes perfect sense: "Volts Collector-Emitter" = UCE.

Thank you.

The good news is that we proved today that the communication faults are a firmware bug in the scanner.

These drives are in an MCC that's a few hundred feet from the motor, so it's entirely possible the ground fault indications are bogus and due merely to capacative coupling. They happen on quite a lot of the drives. Now that I know what they mean, I'll be able to go through the fault logs (which I also now understand, thanks to you guys) and avise the customer how to proceed.

Again, thanks !