Position Sensor without a Refelector

Prince

I am going to correct a beveling machine with a sensor

The problem is that the handling system for the part that needs to be beveled in the machine is not precise enough. We have a high rate of broken blades because in some cases the part is not positioned in the right place. I am trying to find a sensor to detect the actual position of the part and correct the process of beveling. 1mm precision in a 5 cm window is enough for me.

As the machine is already built I have no position for a reflector so I need a sensor with no reflector. Can you help me with a suggestion Please?

Hi nehpets

As far as I understand this is a diffused sensor to "detect" the part and give a digital feedback.

It was a a perfect idea if I could place this sensor on the beveling head. I can not. The head is vibrating harshly. So I need a sensor to be placed afar and independent reporting the value of Error with an analog feed back.

Last edited:
Dear JesperMP

As far as I understand DT20 Hi is for distance measurement. The part I am talking about is a pipe what I need is a sensor to look to the part from one side and report value of Error with an analog feed back.

There are analogue photocells that will give 0 -10V close up. I have not used them but seen them controlling the speed of inverers on 'unrolling' machines.

Ronnieو

It would be distance measurement like the one Jesper suggested.

IM0052962.jpg

https://www.sick.com/de/en/sheet-coil-uncoiling/c/p346573

I need something to look from its side but with no reflector

As far as I understand DT20 Hi is for distance measurement. The part I am talking about is a pipe what I need is a sensor to look to the part from one side and report value of Error with an analog feed back.
You can setup the DT20 Hi to be normalised at the desired position. Then it will give you a +/- error signal.

However, I wouldnt do it like that. I would simply use the sensor as a distance sensor (because it us easy to setup and troubleshoot). Then I would calculate the error in the PLC subtracting the desired distance from the measured distance.

If you can get in touch with a Keyence representative, they have many different solutions for problems like this. They will recommend the best solution and assist with setting it up, if needed.

َAs I found my description of the problem unsatisfactory, I am trying to support my weak writing with a weak picture :ROFLMAO:.

Consider this photo as a top image of the produced pipe. consider the beveling head coming from the right side to bevel the pipe. The head approaches the pipe with faster speed and should bevel the pipe with the slow speed otherwise I will lose the blade.

The handling system of the pipe has problem so the pipe position will have some errors. Theoretically if i know the error value I can control the head and bevel right. I am trying to find out the inevitable error value before beveling. Having this value I will control the head based on the pipe position

Scenario A is using a distance measurement sensor to find out the error. It is impossible because it can not be used for pipes and it is in the way of the beveling head

Scenario B is possible I have enough space for a laser/IR area sensor but I do not have enough space for the reflector and all the laser systems needs one

Do you have any suggestion for me?

Thanks

bevel.jpg

Keyence LR-T series sensor has an analog output.

Keyence LK-G 5000 series is high accuracy version

Keyence will send you loaner sensors. ( with or without a salesman).