Looking for a Tachometer ( 4-20 ma ) to sense FPM on a cloth belt .

Rob S.

Good Morning ,

Do you guys know of any tachometers ( 4-20 ma ) with a fragile soft wheel to sense FPM on a cloth belt ? I was thinking of using a weighted bracket and the weight of the tachometer to drop this wheel on the belt.

Thanks for your advice and sharing your experiences .

Have you considered non-contact laser sensors? I haven't used them myself but I know that they exist.

Here is a link to the first thing I found via google.
http://www.protonproducts.com/products/sl-series/sl-series/

That would be the ideal answer where funds are not a limiting factor. It has been over ten years since I worked with that type of device and the hardware cost exceeded ten grand. Maybe they have become less expensive.

Unfortunately, sometimes there is a right way and a cheap way to things.

I had a situation in which there was no way to (within required tolerance) detect the distance traveled by the product except for a laser displacement velocimeter.

The shaft driven encoder didn't account for slippage between the roller and the conveyor or between the conveyor belt and the product. It was not possible to use an encoder wheel touching the product, so we put it against the conveyor belt. There, it still didn't account for some slippage between the belt and the product and actually suffered from occasional bouts of slippage between itself and the belt.

First we did it cheapest, then we did it less cheap, eventually we did it over.

That would be the ideal answer where funds are not a limiting factor. It has been over ten years since I worked with that type of device and the hardware cost exceeded ten grand. Maybe they have become less expensive.

Some of these products are under $10K. We have been using them for many years, through buy-outs with Beta now owning the product line.

Beta Laserspeed Product Line

My thoughts exactly Bryan, this is what we do for belt speed sensors. Though for my purposes the exact speed of belt and product is often not very important. We are good as long as we know it is still moving at roughly the design speed, give or take x percent.

When I worked for IP we had some belts about 50 yards so they would grow and shrink with speeds also load weight of the products, the drive pulley and idler pulley would both slip

Any chance you check the actual product speed?