Ultra3000 E19 Following Error

phuz

Customer has an issue with an Ultra3000 that gets the E19 error as soon as power enable is active and it tries to home.
Input 1 is Drive Enable and Input 2 is Start Homing.
Input 1 is triggered upon button press immediately followed by input 2.
The encoder is showing what appears to be valid position data. The tuning parameters haven't been changed and this machine has run for a long time. Are we most likely dealing with a bad Ultra3000?

Last edited:
Can you run the motor uncoupled from the load? Maybe a mechanical issue?
Could also try slower accel/decel/velocity with load -- if no following error then mechanical or motor issue is more likely.

We de-coupled it from the load completely, reset it, and it would turn for a fraction of a second. E19 never went away.

Sounds like from the first post that if you have feedback turned off, and then rotate the shaft by hand, you can see the position changing as expected. If so, the feedback cable is less likely to be bad. In this situation, I would try to get a spare motor and connect it to the drive cables. If safe for your situation, just leave the spare motor unmounted and see if the drive can rotate the shaft. If so, replace the motor. If not, replace the drive.

Customer found a spare motor on shelf (assumed to be OK). Same thing upon "Drive Enable" with the E19 fault. When I hit the fault reset, the motor turns briefly and then stops. E19 stays active.

Since the encoder appears to be working correctly, I'd focus on the power connection. Fault E19 can occur if there is a disruption or failure of power to the motor. Possible causes could be:
- Cable failure, it's rare but yes I've seen it happen for no apparent reason
- Phases getting swapped or hooked up wrong
- Failure of an intermediate device between the drive and motor, such as a terminal block or contactor
- Drive failure

Since the encoder appears to be working correctly, I'd focus on the power connection. Fault E19 can occur if there is a disruption or failure of power to the motor. Possible causes could be:
- Cable failure, it's rare but yes I've seen it happen for no apparent reason
- Phases getting swapped or hooked up wrong
- Failure of an intermediate device between the drive and motor, such as a terminal block or contactor
- Drive failure

Thanks.
The cables are in a place where they are never disturbed and do not move (motor is stationary). Plausible but not probable.
Phases haven't been changed.
No intermediate devices.
I'm leaning toward drive as well.

Last edited:
If safe for your situation, just leave the spare motor unmounted and see if the drive can rotate the shaft. If so, replace the motor. If not, replace the drive.

I re-reading this I see that I wrote the actions backwards, and would be going to the drive next. As noted, check for loose connections as part of this process.

No, it's not a linear motor.

I resolved the issue. One of the maintenance guys was supposedly doing some "housekeeping" inside the enclosures (wiping things down, etc.) and bumped a loose wire, which happened to be the homing sensor going to the Ultra3000. I don't know why this would throw an E19 for any reason, but as soon as it was re-connected, I was able to see the homing input being made, and the motor ran. Thoughts on that anomaly?

Thoughts on that anomaly?

It's a stretch, but maybe a critical DC common was being provided by the home switch wiring that was reconnected. Or maybe multiple loose wires were found and fixed during troubleshooting.

[QUOTE/]=phuz;786575Thoughts on that anomaly?

It's a stretch, but maybe a critical DC common was being provided by the home switch wiring that was reconnected. Or maybe multiple loose wires were found and fixed during troubleshooting.[/QUOTE]

I'm the one that found the loose wire and I only reconnected the one. Strange, right?