Micrologix outgoing?

rQx

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi!

We have a Micrologix system we use for a customer, really basic programming.

A customer wanted us to make a contrologix system instead based on that the "micrologix is old and is a outgoing modell".

My question: Is the micrologix a outgoing model anytime soon?

And if I were to change, wouldn't the new Micro800 serie be the way to go?

/Tim

I can understand your customer's point of view. It will still be in production and supported for many, many years to come, but it's basically old technology now - I don't suspect there will be any new development on the MicroLogix family from here on.

Going to a ControlLogix, though? That seems way overkill.

If it were me, I'd be going for a Compact Logix. 1769-L16ER-BB1B is very competitively priced, has a similar amount of onboard I/O, and uses the current programming environment (Logix Designer, formerly RSLogix 5000). That's the way 90% of my projects are going these days.

If it's a really simple, basic system, then the Micro 800 series could also be argued. I've never used it (and hope to never have to), but it's at least current product.

That's my 2c anyway!

Just today I had a quote done for a PV800 and Micro830 system. It is surprisingly cheap, and quite good on programming features (As much as I hate to use CCW). If you have a low I/O count, and small programs then the Micro800 stuff is probably going to be a viable option.

I think MicroLogix will be supported for another good couple of years.
Check your particular model here:
http://www.rockwellautomation.com/g...ation-solutions/product-search/overview.page?

It would be worth to listen to the customer as to what does he want to do with the system in the future:
Will the system expand? Does the customer has some vision of what will happened in his plant, ect.?
Maybe the CLX requirement follows some plant strategy.
Worth to ask to justify this requirement. CLX seems to be overspec to replace MicroLogix - that's for sure.
This also could be a good time for him to invest.

Thanks alot for the opinions.

It is only a small system 20IN 15 OUT 2AIN. If we change I will talk to rockwell and they help me choose a system that suits me. But if the micrologix will still exist and doesn't get overpriced we will stick to that for now.

Thanks

/Tim

MicroLogix 1100 with a couple of expansion modules could fit your requirements.
ML1100 can fit max 4 expansion modules so be sure that you dont need more than that in the future. Else consider a ML1400 instead.
Stay clear of Micro800.

The Micrologix 1000 and Micrologix 1500 have reached the end of life.
The Micrologix 1100, 1200 and 1400 are current products.
The Micrologix 1400 has 20 in/ 12 out 4 AI in and 2 AI out on the base unit.

A little more that TWS has stated.... Not all MicroLogix will be going away (anytime soon)... the 1000 and 1500 series is the first to go but I think it will be a long time before the 1400 goes away (also the 1100)

Rockwell Automation announces that as of June 30, 2017, our Bulletin 1761 MicroLogix™ 1000 Programmable Logic Controller Systems will be discontinued and no longer available for sale.

http://ab.rockwellautomation.com/Programmable-Controllers/MicroLogix-1000
http://ab.rockwellautomation.com/Programmable-Controllers/MicroLogix-1500

I 'think' they are looking for the 800 series to replace the 1000

Dont fall into the trap considering an ML1200. It may not be obsolete in Rockwells opinion, but it is thoroughly obsolete.
And the 1100 and 1400 are so close in price that there's no point in getting anything but the 1400 for a new application, IMO.

I agree with JesperMP, stay clear of the Micro800, the programming software CCW (free!) is diabolical and slow.

Go for 1100, the software is free as well and very similar to RSLogix. If you go for ControlLogix consider the cost for the programming software.

Stef.

The ML1100 has limited memory, supports 4 expansion cards (compared to 7 for the 1400) has one less serial port, and lacks the CPT instruction.

But is offered in smaller bases than the 1400, so it still has its place. We use them in places where we need to stay small on panel size and I/O count.

Water towers are a good example. We need an analog input and the ability to communicate via radio modem and often that is it. I like the ML1100 and one 1762-IF4 for this because I can program the LCD to display water level for local viewing and it seems to hold up fairly well in adverse conditions. I don't like the built in analog because water towers take a lot of lightning hits and the level (pressure) transmitter gets zapped along with the analog input with regularity.

Last edited:
Off topic.....
Quote: "I don't like the built in analog because water towers take a lot of lightning hits and the level (pressure) transmitter gets zapped along with the analog input with regularity."
Use these on your pressure transmitters: http://plastomatic.com/ggscatalog.pdf.
I did a lot of water/waste-water work years ago. These reduced the lightning damage significantly.

Off topic.....
Quote: "I don't like the built in analog because water towers take a lot of lightning hits and the level (pressure) transmitter gets zapped along with the analog input with regularity."
Use these on your pressure transmitters: http://plastomatic.com/ggscatalog.pdf.
I did a lot of water/waste-water work years ago. These reduced the lightning damage significantly.

Thanks!